Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   engine light question (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/engine-light-question-68685/)

Chevra 03-15-2012 08:52 PM

engine light question

I have a 2002 SS with the LS1 and my engine light is on because of my exhaust I am pretty sure of. But my question is, when the engine light is on on these cars will it back up the engine. I own a different car which is an 03 and when the light comes on it starts sucking gas like crazy and doesnt run as good. I just got the camaro so I am not sure if it is running top notch or what. Is this something that I need to get fixed or will the car run just the same with the light on? Thanks.

craby 03-15-2012 09:12 PM

stop by the local parts store and have it scanned for trouble codes. write down what code numbers that come up and let us know what they are. should give you an idea of what issue and if its an issue that will force the system to stay in open loop. when you first start up the motor runs on a set program that delivers fuel at a set level, that is in open loop and is a rich setting that will cause poor performance.

Chevra 03-15-2012 09:17 PM

well I have scanned it before and its from my o2 sensors. Im guessing because I have to much flow for them.

craby 03-15-2012 09:52 PM

there are like 34 different codes for 02 sensors. need to know the codes that came up, heres a list of the codes https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...i-codes-57023/

Chevra 03-15-2012 10:48 PM

Okay well I will have to write it down once I get it back from the safety. Its weird tho because when I hook up my own scanner no codes come up but I plugged my Hypertech chip in and the code will come up on that. Never had that happen before, I hate computers in cars ha. But I will try to find out what it is and then we can get to the bottom of what my car is doing. Thanks

craby 03-15-2012 11:30 PM

dont use a chip on a obd2 motor, or any motor newer than a 93 as far as that goes. if you want it tuned have solomon do it. check his site here. LT1 PCM Tuning - OBDI/OBDII PCM Tuning/Programming Service his tunes have worked better than any other i have found.

Chevra 03-18-2012 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by craby (Post 613197)
stop by the local parts store and have it scanned for trouble codes. write down what code numbers that come up and let us know what they are. should give you an idea of what issue and if its an issue that will force the system to stay in open loop. when you first start up the motor runs on a set program that delivers fuel at a set level, that is in open loop and is a rich setting that will cause poor performance.

Okay sorry for the late response. The codes that my car is reading are PO134 and PO154, both are O2 circuit no activity detected. So are these codes going to affect my performance and my fuel mileage? Thanks for the help and thanks for the tip on using the chip. I didnt even play around with it yet and maybe it is a good thing that I didnt ha.

craby 03-18-2012 10:25 PM

they are both not working so i would look for a blown fuse. odd that they dont have same causes
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0134 Oxygen 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank I Sensor 1)
P0154 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Chevra 03-18-2012 11:18 PM

Okay well sounds like the PO154 can cause some problems for sure regarding performance and fuel mileage. I just got the car so I will have to take a look under it and see what is all there. It is running headers but the rest should be as it was. I can clear the code but it comes back on after I drive around for a bit.

craby 03-20-2012 07:36 PM

if the 02s have not been changed sence the header install then i would say they are fouled. new headers will foul your 02s when the heat burns off the factory coating on the inside of em. wires can get melted and ground out against the header.