Engine in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 AM
4th Gear Member
Default Engine in the cold

Ok, so lately my car has been a bit cold blooded, sometime it starts some times it struggles. A couple times out of the usual ill go to start it and it will sound like its just going to keep trying to crank until i give it some gas and it jumps to life. Ive noticed my oil pressure hangs out around the 1/4 mark unless im stepping on it where it gets as high as the 1/2 mark. Also my car idles at 500 rpms in park and if im stopped for long enough. Ive also noticed a red light (mentioned it in a previous thread) looks like an arrow pointing down into a radiator with some liquid at the bottom, but my radiator is full... but i think its full of water.. My car takes forever to get the temp guage to move, but it does get up to temp eventually and once i start it i dont have any problems with it over heating or anything.

I was going to run some Engine Restore thru it since i have 122400 miles but the guy at shucks said I should try seafoam. I bought some and ran it thru my crankcase saturday night and im still experiencing some of the same symptons. Ive got a valve tick and my engine is a bit cold blooded in the morning.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Engine in the cold

Have you changed your oil since you added the Seafoam?

Old 11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Tech Droid

Probably don't have a thermostat, that is why it takes so long to warm up.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:50 PM
4th Gear Member

I just had my entire cooling system replaced and my thermostat looked at. I havent had an oil change since the seafoam, i did that saturday night.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Overdrive Member

I believe it's recommended to change it within a few hundred miles.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:25 PM
4th Gear Member

spartan, i think u keep making up problems[:'(]lol j/k[8D]. mine always idled at about 700-800 but that was a 3.8, my ion idles at about 500, which seems low, but my friends cobalt does same thing. my parents 3 vehicles, and most vehicles i get in, usually idle around 900-1k.

i think that arrow to tank istranny fluid, but i dont know, came on once in mine, then never came on again, and was only on for about 2min.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 PM
4th Gear Member

Yeah... as far as i can tell its the only warning light on my guage cluster. Every now and then ill hear this audible pop.. dunno what that is but it just recently became noticable now that im paranoid about my tires randomly popping like my other one did on friday lol. I checked my tranny fluid after running it on the freeway and it looked fine, oil is at about the 1/2 way mark.. need to change it soon. I dunno the light is random in my opinion, ill sit out in my car and warm it up for 5-10 mins and then leave for school and maybe it comes on maybe it doesnt. Dunno but like i said ive got a hole in my intake thats lettin in unregistered amounts of air.. could be my computer is gettin thrown off and the cold temp isnt helping. i dont know.. soo much stuff ive gotta bring attention to its not even funny. The guy just took the cat off and threw a pipe in to the mix to bring my exhaust together but he didnt weld it up all the way... Yeah.. Just noticed my tabs are expired and the car isnt registered under my name yet either... lol... yeah...

Old 11-05-2007, 06:12 PM
4th Gear Member

well, the hole in intake is BAD. could be alot of your problems. letting in dirt and what not into the engine.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Change out your oil. Try runing some foam into your intake lines and gas. Then change out your plugs. You may still have to give it a little gas to get her started but this should help. Also try not to rev the engine up when you first start her. She needs time to warm up and let the oil get up to proper temps. It will add lots of happy life to your engine.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
4th Gear Member

its unfixable spartan! even if ya fix it, it'll break again! cuz thats jus ur luck![8D]ur accident prone![&:]

Quick Reply: Engine in the cold