Emergency help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Default Emergency help!!

Hi,

2002 Z28 Automatic Camaro 167k miles.

Symptoms:
Smoking from rear engine (transmission area)
Metal rattling sound coming from transmission area
Sounds occur in all gears

ENGINE WILL NOT SHUT OFF
When power is cut, engine sounds as if the starter is engaged but worse, as if transmission is engaged and power is not shutting off. Turning switch into on (not start) position starts the engine back up. I had to keep switching the engine in neutral and turn it on/off to get the rattling to stop temporarily and then turn the car completely off.

Please help, there seems to be serious damage to the car and it just came out of nowhere.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

That's your car starter stuck. Undo your battery and it'll stop. Time to replace it with a new one since it's been cook from running so long.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your catalytic converter is failing. at least thats what it sounds like to me. 3800, i think the motor is dieseling.

Last edited by craby; 06-17-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

I think your correct craby. Just from the sounds of the last few lines it does sound like it's dieseling. I wonder if it's just a chunk of cat plugging up the exhaust since there is a rattle. Try running your engine and hit your cat a few times.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe a video?
The smoke started at the same time? It is not just dieseling cause he is saying all gears. Beside unless there mutible leaking injector a FI will not diesel since the injectors are turned off (unlike a carb). Even if it was muti-injector failures it would only last till the fuel pressure bled off, a few seconds. When a Cat plug up that is not how it sounds. If the cat has fallen apart inside they will rattle but at that point there is little chance of plugging. The smoke would be consistant with a Cat getting super hot but that is normally when the cat is working and the car is running rich.

I would agree the start not disengaging could be the noise but the over running clutch will only last seconds above 1000 RPM and if he has driven it in all gears I can not imagine it is still together but I guess it is possible. Just based on his post I was thinking Torque converter is coming apart but a video would help a lot.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 PM

Turned out to be the starter. Thanks guys.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well major fail for me. lol. thanks for letting us know.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yay I was correct. Lol. Anyways glad you found out what was wrong.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Overdrive Member

I didnt know that a FI car could diesel. If you remove the fuel you cant diesel. Well that is unless you have a diesel engine that you have been running hard for hours and get it nice and hot then run it out of fuel and the air trying to expand back is enough to keep it running. I did that to an old Yanmar tractor and the engine would not stop even after I ran it out of fuel. We emptied a CO2 fire extinguisher into the intake and almost killed it but not quite enough. About 15 minutes later new fuel arrived and we filled the tank... couple of seconds later the engine started running normally again. Then we were able to shut it off. Good times! I almost killed a tractor that I didnt own and the owners rule for borrowing the tractor was if it breaks while you have it you fix it.

Massey

Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah rub it in massey. lol, hay i was up to the big city last week, one of these days ill have to stop and say hi. where you at anyways. if i remember right you have a parts store, is that right.

Quick Reply: Emergency help!!