Embarrassing Rattle help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Embarrassing Rattle help!!

I have a 95 camaro with a 3.4 L automatic transmission. Whenever i accelerate from a stop there is a very loud rattle whenever i hit around 1500-1700 RPM's every time, then it goes away after i got over those RPM's. it happens when i go in reverse too and it happens when im already moving and hit 1500-1700 RPM's. it feels like the rattle is coming around from the area where headers/transmission/rear of engine are (under the front of the center console) i can feel it in the body of the car and in the gas pedal. does anybody have any idea what this could be? its really embarrassing because its REALLY loud.

ALSO- i have no cat, it was removed before i got the car and a pipe was welded in to replace it.

Last edited by DSteinyZ28; 10-24-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your transmission mount is broke, Replace it.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

also check the exhaust guard where the cat used to be. known to rattle.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Gorn- how much time/money does that usually cost? Im in college and both are pretty tight.

crabby- Is that the bracket that is about half way down the underside of the cab area, kind of by itself and right under the exhaust pipe? I took that off once and drove around the back roads for a few miles and it made no difference. I can tell though, that that does rattle a lot when im driving in the rain for some odd reason, the sound and vibration are coming from that spot, but its a different one than the one i asked about on here. stupid rattles lol Im thinking of getting some kind of heat resistant insulator and putting that between the pipe and the bracket to eliminate that rattle, but its the other one that im really worried about.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

trans mount costs 20 bucks or less. easy to install.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If it's the trans mount. When you jump on the throttle, do you get a banging sound on the tunnel? That's usually the tell-tale sign of a torn mount. I've had a couple mounts go before and they didn't cause a rattle. On the flip-side, if you "granny" the car, do you still get the same rattle? If so, it's not likely the trans mount. Might want to just get under the car and start doing some hitting and banging on everything with your fist. You might be able to jostle whatever it is that's causing the noise. That's something we can't do from here.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

craby and Camaro69- oh thats not bad i hope thats the problem. And as far as the rattle, it does make a kind of thump/banging noise in the exhaust when the engine goes down in RPM's after I step hard on the gas, but it also rattles when im going super slow and hit around 1500-1700 RPM's. so could it be the transmission and the Y pipe? I'll do some hitting and banging tomorrow after my classes and get back to you guys, hopefully its something easy!

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

Had that problem once. It was the cat. You said the PO removed the converter so I would suspect that area to be your problem. Was it welded or clamped?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

slick-it was welded, poorly and there's a little carbon flashing in one spot where i believe there is a tiny hole. but its solid other than that, I'm going to my uncles house this Sunday and we're jacking it up and hitting some stuff with a mallet, and welding that pipe.... the correct way.

Apon further inspection... I found that there are two seperate rattles, like I had suspected earlier in the thread. one by the transmission when i step on the gas and one whenever i hit around 1500-1700 RPM's. So it could be possible that I have all of these things wrong with my car. that would suck lol

Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a rattle like sound in the rear of my camaro also that sounds like its on the drivers side. Only hear it when going slow down a bumpy road though. I suspect a bushing on the panhandle bar, but have not confirmed it yet. Anyhow just something to look at when you jack yours up.

Quick Reply: Embarrassing Rattle help!!