Electrical problems or worse. Help me get some insight

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Electrical problems or worse. Help me get some insight

I am a new camaro owner. I just bought it at the end of April. I will post pics later whenever i have time but I have some problems that I need help with. It is a 1994 V6. Here are the problems:

1.) The wiper blades are not moving at all. They used to and then when I was driving I changed speeds of them and they stopped working. I thought it was the fuse so I changed the fuse and still no success. There is no clicking sound or anything.

2.) The driver's window used to roll down and get stuck half way down. I would just hit the door and then it would work. Now it doesn't even roll down at all. It is stuck barely cracked. Prior to this whenever it used to get stuck halfway down, I saw that everything was rusty on the inside of the door, so I did my best to get rid of that. I also cleaned the connection on the switches but still nothing. And its only the driver's window. I can roll down the passengers side window with the drivers side button.

3.) The power locks are not working. They have never worked ever since I got the car. I cleaned the connection and it locks but it does not unlock. I installed my Kenwood in and everytime I open the door when the car its turned off, the radio turns off at the same the doors lock.

4.) This is probably common but my left blinker does not work. The light does not blink on the dash, it just stays solid. My brake light on my hatch is out also.

Any help with any of these problems would be greatly appreciated. I will get back to you with some pictures. Other than these problems, its a perfect car. It drives amazing and sounds good.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member

well, number 4 is easy, you just need a bulb. whenever your signal light sticks that normally means there's a signal light/brake light out, so you sort of answered your own question without knowing it .

as for number 3, i can't really help. but, i do know that when you open your door with the car off it cuts power to everything. what do you mean by it turning off when your doors lock?

number 2, probably the window motor. same thing happened to mine a month after owning it. i think it's a fairly common problem.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

# 1 probly the wiper motor. check to see if your getting power to make sure its not a wireing or switch thing.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by buddywackos
well, number 4 is easy, you just need a bulb. whenever your signal light sticks that normally means there's a signal light/brake light out, so you sort of answered your own question without knowing it .

as for number 3, i can't really help. but, i do know that when you open your door with the car off it cuts power to everything. what do you mean by it turning off when your doors lock?

number 2, probably the window motor. same thing happened to mine a month after owning it. i think it's a fairly common problem.
for number 3: whenever the radio is turned on while the engine is running (and only when the radio is on) everything is fine. When I turn off the engine, of course the radio stays on for like ten minutes or until a door is opened. If you open the door, the radio turns off. When the radio turns off the doors automatically lock themselves without me pressing any buttons. Its not really a problem if they normally work. The switches on both sides don't work but they lock themselves whenever that happens. Its not that big of a deal. The wipers and the window are the bigger problems. I just can't understand why they lock at that time.

And thanks to all for all the advice. I will try to replace the motor in the window. I have looked at it, and it appears to be a pain to replace because of the way the door is constructed. I haven't checked the power yet in the switch, it just happened and I haven't had time.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

also about the window, would you recommend replacing the motor and the regulator or just the motor?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

man it sure sounds like theres something going on with the wiring in that drivers side door. look over the wires were they go threw the door and see if theres any wear spots, bare wire or kinked wires. havent heard of an auto door lock system yet so u would be a first for me if that were the case. if your doing the widow motor get the good motors i think the guys said auto zone has the oem replacement. cheep ones can work or not. sound funny to. if the window moves around or things seem lose in the door change the regulator too. havent done one yet so not sure if its easier to change them together.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have checked the wiring. I have a convertible and it leaks sometimes. The switch looks as though it got wet over the years. I have cleaned it and it started working ok but now it doesn't work at all. I checked to see if the switch is working and it still has normal output. I know that when it did work, the window would go down slow. I am going to go clean it again and check to see if there are any loose wires though

Old 09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Old 09-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Overdrive Member

It's generally best to replace both the motor and regulator at the same time, since Camaro window repairs are a pain...

If the light is solid in the dash for the turn signal, then you have a bulb that's bad.