Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Post Electrical problem

I have a '95 V6. I've been having a problem with the battery draining and have been unable to track the problem down. I just installed a new head unit, subwoofer w/amp and ran new speaker wires and a new very strange problem has come up and I think it may be related to the RAP module. After I turn off the ignition and open the door, the radio turns off and the windows stop working (as it should be). A few minutes later, the radio turns itself back on and the windows start working without the key in the ignition. It originally had the Bose system in it and I'm thinking that the RAP has been turning on the amps on the speakers and causing the battery drain all along. The original head unit didn't turn back on, but it was almost totally dead so it may not have been working right anyway. Is this the RAP module causing this? I didn't see anything in the existing threads that was similar. Is anyone else having a similar problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:17 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

could be the bcm is acting up. look here and see if it helps. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...-repair-52062/

Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the reply Craby. I was doing some poking around and saw that the '95 has a separate RAP module. Is that true? Is that under the kick panel on the passenger side?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

driver side by the express down mod http://shbox.com/1/express_down1.jpg

Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Cool. Thanks Craby. Do you still recommend the resoldering on the BCM as well? I guess it wouldn't hurt to make sure that the solder joints aren't cracked.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

right wouldnt hurt to have a look see.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:44 AM

OK. Pulled the RAP module and resoldered all the joints and cleaned the connector pins. The problem persists. I think that the one and only IC on the circuit board is bad, but it's a surface mount chip and I don't have the equipment to replace it even if I can find a new chip. Is there a way to bypass the RAP module all together? I'd rather not spend the money for a new module since I really don't have any use for the feature. I really don't mind if the radio shuts off when I turn the ignition off (that's what ACCY is for).

Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

double check the wiring to the stereo. something may be crossed. did the battery go dead before the new stereo was installed?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 AM

I will double check it, but the stereo works right otherwise. I did have the battery drain problem before the stereo, but while I was looking for the RAP module, I found an aftermarket alarm and I yanked that out. Really good alarm that you can just unplug it and disable it, huh? LOL I think the alarm was the problem, since the power drain seems to have stopped. Now I just have to figure out why the radio and windows activate after the ignition is off. Is there no way to bypass the RAP to test my theory about it causing the problem?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

take all the wiring for the alarm out. i would suspect the alarm or wiring to and from it is messing with the rap

Quick Reply: Electrical problem