E85????

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: E85????

right i figured that but i was just curious as to how hard it would be and what would have to happen but i planed on pump gas for now

Old 08-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Droid

Ethanol is higly corrosive to the fuel system. Besides the fact that the engine will need to be tuned to run on E85, the whole fuel system will have to be upgraded to withstand ethanol. This includes fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel pump, filter, gasket & "O" rings, etc.. If you don't do the upgrade you will eventually wind up with fuel leaks.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM
1st Gear Member

right i was`just curious as to what would have to be donefigured that it wouldn't be worth it

Old 08-06-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

Ethanol is higly corrosive to the fuel system. Besides the fact that the engine will need to be tuned to run on E85, the whole fuel system will have to be upgraded to withstand ethanol. This includes fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel pump, filter, gasket & "O" rings, etc.. If you don't do the upgrade you will eventually wind up with fuel leaks.
This is not true anymore, this is a myth from back in the 70's when they first tried using it. Newer cars resist the corrosiveness of ethanol just fine, they do not us e "special" fuel lines in flexfuel vehicles. You have been burning ethanol in your fuel for a wh ile now and probably don't even notice. I know oregon has required 10% ethanol in the winter months for years now. Costco has 10% ethanol in there fuel. On a older car I would worry about factory lines but not newer types and most of us upgrade our lines to run more fuel anyways.

ORIGINAL: usarmyrangrs If you're going to build an LT1, E85 is not the way to go. 93+ Octane should be all you need.
on the contrary building a engine for E85 is the way to go since e85 has higher octane and is cheape r than 93+ will every be. The same programing you would do to build a stroker can make it run on E85 just fine with more power.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:35 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm looking at one of the most important factors: availability. In Oregon, you may have easy access to E85, but here in rural North Carolina, most people scratch their heads when the term 'ethanol' is thrown.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: gvmv

ORIGINAL: z28pete

This is not true anymore, this is a myth from back in the 70's when they first tried using it. Newer cars resist the corrosiveness of ethanol just fine, they do not us e "special" fuel lines in flexfuel vehicles. You have been burning ethanol in your fuel for a wh ile now and probably don't even notice. I know oregon has required 10% ethanol in the winter months for years now. Costco has 10% ethanol in there fuel. On a older car I would worry about factory lines but not newer types and most of us upgrade our lines to run more fuel anyways.

ORIGINAL: usarmyrangrs If you're going to build an LT1, E85 is not the way to go. 93+ Octane should be all you need.
on the contrary building a engine for E85 is the way to go since e85 has higher octane and is cheape r than 93+ will every be. The same programing you would do to build a stroker can make it run on E85 just fine with more power.

I'm going to disagree with you here. 10% Ethanol is much different from 85% ethanol. According to this research: http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache...d=10&gl=us
it would appear that it is not the ethanol itself, but rather ethyl sulfate that origionates from the sulfur dioxide they utilize as an antioxidant in the production of ethanol. Most flex fuel vehicles run a plastic coated gas tank and stainless fuel lines.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Droid

And, most new car manufactures will void warranties if you use more than 10% ethanol, unless the car was designed for it, such as a flex fuel vehicle.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: usarmyrangrs

I'm looking at one of the most important factors: availability. In Oregon, you may have easy access to E85, but here in rural North Carolina, most people scratch their heads when the term 'ethanol' is thrown.
i'm in NC's third biggest area and we dont have one station!!
they sell it in charlotte, hickory, and shelby if im not mistaken

ORIGINAL:gvmv

You have been burning ethanol in your fuel for a wh ile now and probably don't even notice. I know oregon has required 10% ethanol in the winter months for years now. Costco has 10% ethanol in there fuel.
85 is bigger than 10.

and besides
its just NOT GOOD FOR THE ENGINE (try running your car on 85% moonshine)
and it is not efficient (ethanol as a pure substance a much lower energy to volume ratio then gasoline.)

if your engine was built to run E85 or E100 then go ahead
but not on a gas engine.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

We are talking modifying to run E85.

It has been established you can not just fuel and go.

To say a blanket statement "it ruins your fuel system" is incorrect. People are running it just fine. Anyone who is asking about E85 and building a stroker is already going to do many of the things (fuel system, custom tuning) that is needed to run it.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...kit/index.html

http://e85vehicles.com/converting-e85.htm

http://nonffvrunninge85.blogspot.com/

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...uck/index.html

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=132272

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...has-begun.html

All good reading.

Will it so lve our energy problems, No. Will it allow us who li ke driving our camaro's and modify them another option when gas continues to go up, yes.

Lets explain options rather than saying stuff li ke "It won't work" since it will with some of the same modifications you would do anyways.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 PM
2nd Gear member

hahaah you know im just gonna apologize for getting in on this one cause rondavis is just kinda like okay okay i was just wondering and were all aruging about it