driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Default driveshaft

i took my car to get checked to see if the tranny mount was gone and the guy jacked it up real high got under, looked, shooked and said yea... i drove home parked and now i got a big *** stain in my driveway, my friend said its rear end grease and i have a leak and we checked the mount and its still holding on but however my drive shaft is very loose..is this normal for the drive shaft? and how can i replace rear end grease

Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so is this stain an oil puddle? where was it at, under the motor, trans or rear? change the trans mount, they cost like 15 bucks and take 15 minutes to change.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What do you mean by your "driveshaft is very loose"? It will have some back and forth play, when not under a load, if you try to turn it by hand. But if it's flopping around between the shaft and the yokes, then the u-joints are shot. If you are leaking oil (not grease) from the rear seal, then it needs to get replaced. If you are going to attempt that, ask first, as there is a right and wrong way to remove/reinstall the rear yoke. And once the driveshaft is out, might as well do the front seal too.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
What do you mean by your "driveshaft is very loose"? It will have some back and forth play, when not under a load, if you try to turn it by hand. But if it's flopping around between the shaft and the yokes, then the u-joints are shot. If you are leaking oil (not grease) from the rear seal, then it needs to get replaced. If you are going to attempt that, ask first, as there is a right and wrong way to remove/reinstall the rear yoke. And once the driveshaft is out, might as well do the front seal too.
Sorry...it is rear end grease...it is coming from the rear end because i have a two piece drive shaft...the rubber mount that holds the two in the middle is bad causing a strong vibration...i cant seem to find what exactly it is called..neither can i locate it in the parts store..any help on this?

Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

its just a bearing and as far as i know theres no replacing it... go to the junkyard and look for a 1 piece from any V8 camaro/firebird 93-02

Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

carrier bearing. should be able to pick one up at the parts store. what year camaro?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by craby
carrier bearing. should be able to pick one up at the parts store. what year camaro?
98 v6

Old 12-08-2011, 08:51 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your better off replacing the two piece shaft with a one piece shaft. should be able to pick up a used one at a local wrecking yard or on ebabe or crags for cheap. any 4th gen camaro one piece shaft will fit.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 AM

im in the process of looking for one now, thank you

Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by craby
how do you get the drive shaft out??? it has been about a year and a half since ive seen one

Quick Reply: driveshaft