Driver window not sealing

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Driver window not sealing

I have a 96 camaro that since I got it the driver window has a gap between the top of seal all the way around. I did the adjustments but that didnt fix it. The window is hitting the stabilizer brackets now just to lightly touch the top seal around. I had to adjust t-top back bracket to fix it, that had the biggest gap but the t-top never been adjusted.

I measured the passenger/driver side from the door still to the weather strip in different spots and its matches or a bit off. But when you measure from the door stabilizer brackets to the weather strip the driver door is lower about 3/8 but the door lines up with the frame.

This is the gap i get on t-top before I adjusted anything

Gap after t-top towards mirror
before I adjusted anything

This is were all the adjustments are at to kinda work.

Front One

Back was busted when i got so i fixed it like this

Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

woh,, something is not right. has the car been in a wreck? what shape is the hinge pins in? when you lift on the door a little do you notice movement from the hinge area. have you looked at this yet Adjust Door Window

Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
woh,, something is not right. has the car been in a wreck? what shape is the hinge pins in? when you lift on the door a little do you notice movement from the hinge area. have you looked at this yet Adjust Door Window
The far right of the tail light had a dent in the metal and crack fiberglass. The front bumper been repainted cause rest of car has clear coat peeling and bumper has chips of paint coming off must of been cheap paint job and the hatch on the right isnt even its a little higher.

I changed the hinges with some good ones I found off a junk car on both sides and I didnt seen no damage under the fenders.

That's were I learned how to adjust the window. But the driver door is farther from the seal so im hitting the stabilizer brackets.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your door is drooping, which is why the door to fender gap is tighter at the bottom.
You want to get the door set right on the hinges, and have your gaps set to where they all look good, before messing with the window adjustments.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Your door is drooping, which is why the door to fender gap is tighter at the bottom.
You want to get the door set right on the hinges, and have your gaps set to where they all look good, before messing with the window adjustments.

I adjusted the hinges twice on the driver door and it sag that it lays on the striker both times in about a week or so The passanger side I adjust and its in the same spot still no sag. The car hasn't been driven its been sitting since i got it as it a project right now on fixing it up. when I did have it lined up I still had the window gap.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

cant say for sure but it looks like the frame is bent. i just cant see how the door can be even all the way except the front but window does not go up all the way. looks like you have it adjusted up all the way.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Still, your door isn't sitting where it wants to be. Make sure the striker isn't pushing down on the door latch when it closes. If anything, you'd want the door to get pulled up just a little when you close it. I have a feeling the striker might not be supporting the latch end of the door when it's closed, giving you the sag. That's a heavy door to have hanging out in limbo.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
cant say for sure but it looks like the frame is bent. i just cant see how the door can be even all the way except the front but window does not go up all the way. looks like you have it adjusted up all the way.
Both doors line up with even gaps the hood has even gap all around. The fender I might have not got lined up from doing the hinges cause 2 bolts in the bottom of fender some shop jack it up on both passenger and driver side smashing the bolt heads up so i had to bend the metal back to get bolts out.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Still, your door isn't sitting where it wants to be. Make sure the striker isn't pushing down on the door latch when it closes. If anything, you'd want the door to get pulled up just a little when you close it. I have a feeling the striker might not be supporting the latch end of the door when it's closed, giving you the sag. That's a heavy door to have hanging out in limbo.
I had the striker middle out in the latch. Ill have to try redoing the hinges sometime to get the door right again and make the latch support it more.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Doesn't hurt window alignment if the door gaps aren't perfect, as long as the door stays that way. Just would hate to adjust the window only to have the door adjustment tweak at the hinge again. Getting door to fender to window to top adjustments perfect can be a real beech. Hope you have a good head of hair....for pulling out of frustration!

Quick Reply: Driver window not sealing