Driver side window problem! Need expert advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Exclamation Driver side window problem! Need expert advice!

I have a 97 convertable and im having problems with my driver side window. Apparently theres a track that holds it vertically into place that has a roller in it,
and mine is bent. I have no clue what I am looking for and what it is called. Please help. My baby has been in shop for a week now.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Overdrive Member

the track is supposed to have a curve to it and that is normal. Now what happens from time to time is the pin breaks free of the window mount and this allows the window to slide fore and aft and not seal up properly. You may need to reweld this pin to the track and then reinstall the glass into the car.

Massey

Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

window channel. there is a part number sticky at the top of the forth gen section. check this out.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/driver-side-window-slides-back-forth-43730/

Last edited by craby; 05-25-2010 at 01:48 AM. Reason: add on
Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 AM

I learned today that what I actually need is the wheel that goes onto the rivet. My best bet is to buy the entire window from what I was told. The part isnt manufactured anymore.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

My wheel snapped off at the rivet hole - wound up welding it back into place. Might do well looking in junkyards for that - don't know if you'll find a new one.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 AM
REN
1st Gear Member

What problems are you having exactly? Are you talking the wheel of the regulator? It has a gear sprocket that the motor moves, there is a also a spring tnesioner that looks like a wheel inside. The tracks do have a slight bend to them which is fine.

I have had two window motors go bad on my convertible.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Overdrive Member

his issue is not with the motor or regulator but with the vertical rear track that keeps the window from sliding back and forth and also allows it to "bend" towards the seal. This part is a rivet that is built into the track that the window is riveted to. Your only options here are to replace the track/glass or weld the roller back on. Welding it the easy choice if you have access to a mig welder. DO NOT Oxy/Acetalyne weld them back together unless you want to see how many pieces of glass make up your side window.

Massey

Old 05-27-2010, 09:22 AM

I went to a salvage yard and found a window. That was an experience. It was out in BFE and when I walked in the building OMG the most putrid smell coming from the giant sized trash can at the door. No one in site. When I went out the back door looking for life I found 2 dudes I call pickin and grinnin lol. They had no clue what I was talking about. It reminded me of the movie Wrong Turn or The Hills Have Eyes. I finally got what I needed and got the hell out of there. 60 bucks for the window wasnt bad I dropped it off to my mechanic so I will be back on the road again soon. Thank you to everyone who helped me. I needed you all when my quick connect cuppling broke and my mechanic had to drill into my manifold to fix it. That was scary.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
the track is supposed to have a curve to it and that is normal. Now what happens from time to time is the pin breaks free of the window mount and this allows the window to slide fore and aft and not seal up properly. You may need to reweld this pin to the track and then reinstall the glass into the car.

Massey
For what it's worth, this is what I did with mine:

Big downside is that you can't keep the welder on it too long as it will melt the wheel.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Default 1993 chevy camaro drivers side power window issue

I replaced the motor for the window but after a couple months the window will only go back up to a certain point and then it stops and makes a noise.anyone know what this could be by chance. ty

Quick Reply: Driver side window problem! Need expert advice!