Don't hate, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Default Don't hate, need help

Hi I know this has probably been covered but I have a 95 camaro 3.4l 5spd. It recently started misfiring and running like crap. It starts but almost immediately the security light comes on and stays on. It doesn't blink and doesn't have issues starting. I'm wondering if the two are connected and where to start at fixing it. My brother own the car before me and said its never done this. He said he changed the ecu out because the check engine light wouldn't go out. I currently have the original ecu in it and it didn't help. Any help will be appreciated

Old 03-07-2016, 11:16 AM
4th Gear Member

start with plugs an wires an or have someone hook up to check for any codes ,when was the last time it had tune up, those cars are geting older an high miles i dont think there is many left with under 100.000 miles that is the 3,4l engine

Old 03-07-2016, 01:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

usually the light on all the time means the vats system has failed while the car was in use and disabled. miss could be one or more things. have you had it scanned for trouble codes yet?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 PM

It's not throwing the check engine or codes. It the check engine light comes on while driving, it goes out when the car is shut off and turned back on. Changed the plugs and plug wires last week. I'm wondering if the security light is connected to the misfire or if I have two separate issues.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i bet you have some stored codes. i would still say have it scanned for trouble codes. have you unhooked the battery or had battery go dead? if so that will clear codes.

Last edited by craby; 03-09-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if vats/security were in effect you would not be able to turn it over let alone start it. check fuel pressure, low or high pressure will not throw a code. with your ses light coming on there are so many things it could be it would be better to get scan

Old 03-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Levi Frantz
It's not throwing the check engine or codes. It the check engine light comes on while driving, it goes out when the car is shut off and turned back on. Changed the plugs and plug wires last week. I'm wondering if the security light is connected to the misfire or if I have two separate issues.
If you PCM is working right it should store codes. I have seen cars that would only have an issue one or two times a years and they still had the complete history of codes. The system will eventually clear codes but it takes 100's of starts with no reoccurrences of the issue.

A good scanner will even pick up pending codes that have not set yet. I believe the pending codes are codes that the PCM are monitoring that have not gone into a full failed code. Basic example: Lets say the evap system needs to see 5 instances of vacuum in the fuel tank to set the evap code. After the first time you now have a pending code.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:36 PM
4th Gear Member

did you hook up the wires right ,I have had check engine light come on an off for years ,only to be sencor ,but you got more then that going one with misfire ,gap in plugs could do it ,opti spark

Old 03-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
did you hook up the wires right ,I have had check engine light come on an off for years ,only to be sencor ,but you got more then that going one with misfire ,gap in plugs could do it ,opti spark
Opti spark is a LT1 issue only the 3.4 is a direct ignition system.

Off topic:
GM used the direct ignition in the 1987 2.8 V6 (the 3.4's little brother) and they used it in 1998 LS1 you got to wonder what in the world where they thinking 1992 with the Opti Spark. Why redesign a distributer when direct ignition tech is already proven for 5 years and millions of cars.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-09-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:37 AM

I changed out the ICM and its running perfect. Now I have to figure out what's causing those to go bad.

Quick Reply: Don't hate, need help