Does my rare trim package affect the value of my car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021 | 09:14 AM
|
Default Does my rare trim package affect the value of my car?

Hey! New owner here! I just bought a 1994 3.4L v6, and after putting the VIN through a VIN checker, I discovered that I have a very low production trim package. (792 produced) and was wondering if that increased the value of the car or makes it more interesting? Thanks!

Old 05-07-2021 | 10:34 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Jake M
I discovered that I have a very low production trim package. (792 produced) and was wondering if that increased the value of the car or makes it more interesting?
It could. It really depends if you can find someone looking to buy the same model car you have and low production numbers appeal to them. Generally speaking, the more people interested in that type of car will influence the price they bring. What is the trim package that your car has?

Old 05-07-2021 | 02:41 PM
|

I'm not sure exactly, but it has tan fabric interior, power drivers seat, power steering, power windows, convertible top, black paint, the v6, delco-loc 2 stereo, power mirrors, and power door locks. the motor was made by flint, and the car was made in ontario canada.

Old 05-07-2021 | 02:47 PM
|

Old 05-07-2021 | 03:28 PM
2nd Gear member

In 1994, there were 31 Camaro black V6 convertibles built with a beige cloth interior. 25 had automatic transmissions and 6 were manuals. There should be a Service Parts Identification label on the inside of the glovebox door which will list the equipment the car was produced with. That will show any trim packages and options the car may have. Post a picture of it if you can.

Old 05-07-2021 | 08:23 PM
|

ok, here it is! hopefully you can make some sense of it!

Old 05-07-2021 | 08:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Rare doesn't always equate to more value,in this case I doubt it has much if any value added being a garden variety V6 car even though a ragtop.
Truth is verts don't really sell that well either,most prefer the t-tops to the ragtop.
If it was a special addition Z28 or SS it might be a different story but even a Z or SS if it's just a rare trim option or something like my rare hardtop SS there's little if any difference in value.
My '01 is one of only a few hundred SS hartops,the lion's share are t-tops and then quite a few verts but not likely much if any difference in value.

Old 05-07-2021 | 08:59 PM
|

thanks! i mean more then value i really just want to know if it was actually that rare or if anyone found it interesting

Old 05-07-2021 | 09:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

With the 4 gens there was so many options available that a car that is less then 1 of 100 is not really rare. EXAMPLE: Just because your V6 was ordered with a brown interior and red seat belts might make it a 1 of 10 car but it does not make it worth more. In fact it could hurt the value if enough people did not like the combination of options.

General rule on options and value:
Most of the time a rare combination of option would have little effect on the value of a car unless it is a very desirable car to start with. This is true all the way back to first gen camaros. Lets say you have a rare option of a shoulder seat belt in 1967 (477 sold). If you have a inline 6 base model it will not have a major effect on the value of the whole car.. Now if you had a big block RS/SS with a rare options like that you are talking rare options on a desirable car. That means now you have people with resources wanting something rare, that means big money.

To all rules there are exceptions:. Something like AC with a rag top in a inline 6 was a rare combination.. Back in the day AC in a rag top was considered wasteful. The ideal back then was a ragtop was down unless it was raining. So I would expect an AC base model convertible to sell for a couple thousand more then a non AC car.. Of course in the 80's AC became standard in most car models.

Old 05-08-2021 | 11:38 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Jake M
ok, here it is! hopefully you can make some sense of it!

Here's a breakdown of the RPO's listed on the Service Parts Identification label. There are a couple of codes not readable and a few I couldn't find descriptions for, but for most part it is complete. Basically, your car was a base V6 Camaro convertible with the highest Preferred Equipment Group available and a few additional options added.

Quick Reply: Does my rare trim package affect the value of my car?