Do I have to use premium?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Do I have to use premium?

Ok, well say you have a modded LT1 and youve got a tick or a knock.. could that be from running regular? I seafoamed my crankcase saturday night and im still getting the tick tick tick.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Ok, well say you have a modded LT1 and youve got a tick or a knock.. could that be from running regular? I seafoamed my crankcase saturday night and im still getting the tick tick tick.
I see the mods that were done to your car, and they don't affect compression. If something was done electronically (your chip) to advance the timing, that's a different story. What kind of a chip was installed, not one of those in-line sensor resistor pieces of crap I hope? A tick tick tick isn't an octane issue either. That could be a bad lifter, a noisy fuel injector, or even an exhaust leak at the manifold. Is your knock at idle as well as at higher rpm? A knock could be from having worn wrist pins, or it could be pre-detonation if you have a lot of carbon build up on the pistons or heads. An octane knock sounds a little different from a piston knock and becomes evident once the engine is under a load, not at idle. But as I said before, your computer compensates for octane knock. Putting the Seafoam in the oil is a good thing. I assume it's the stuff to rid the innards of the engine of varnish and other gummy gremlins? It's not going to change things overnight, so give it time. You may also want to put an additive in your gas. One that cleans the injectors and helps remove carbon build-up.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:07 PM
4th Gear Member

mine had a small exhaust leak causing my tick's, why i needed new heaeders and why dad made me sell[X(]

Old 11-05-2007, 12:22 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

mine had a small exhaust leak causing my tick's, why i needed new heaeders and why dad made me sell[X(]
your dad made you sell your camaro over a $20 part?

You probably just needed gaskets

Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 PM
4th Gear Member

no, it had a hole in the left side, on header, and it also neded a A/C compressor, and a tune up, and i had the money, but he wouldnt let me spend it, and i needed a winter "beater", and daily driver, so i sold it, with intentions of getting a 04 or 05 Hemi truck, but insurance was gonna kill me, so i picked up my ION, and it'll end up ebing my brother's first car.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:53 PM
4th Gear Member

I dunno bout the exhaust but i wouldnt doubt it. Also, honestly i dunno about my computer... the guy said he did some 4 stage tune but when i asked him for the paperwork he never replied... All i know, and my mechanic confirmed it is that ive got alot of horsepower but the guy before me ran the car ragged and didnt reinstall abuncha **** correctly...

Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear member

this is a good thread, i've always wondered about octane questions. But would puttting a 3.8 throttle body onto a 3.4, is it easily done, and if so would it scroo with compression of anything that i would need to upgrade another part?

Old 11-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Overdrive Member

No.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:53 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69
Funny one..yeah they had secret planes during the Civil War, but only the North had themand that's why we won!
Seriously though, the Confederate Air Force is now called theCommemorative Air Force. It's an organization thatpreserves and showshistorical planes at airshows. To answer your question,read my response above about premium fuel.
Thank you for saving me the trouble of having to explain the CAF to them.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Droid

Don't worry about it, premium and regular mix together fine, and you wind up with a mid grade of sorts. The engine in your car has 10.5:1 compression and runs best on premium. However; it will also run on mid grade, and even regular with a little help from the knock sensor. It will just feel a little anemic.

Quick Reply: Do I have to use premium?