Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Did something stupid, now I need some help... (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/did-something-stupid-now-i-need-some-help-22861/)

95camaro74 01-03-2008 04:37 PM

Did something stupid, now I need some help...

When my car died a couple weeks back, I didn't want to leave it in the grocery store parking lot overnight, so I bought a tow chain and had my roommate pull me to the house in his F-350 pickup. Because of the height difference in the vehicles, I didn't want to attach it underneath my car, so I opted for the bracket that the hood latch is mounted to. This bracket is Y-shaped, with the bottom of the Y connecting behind the bumper cover, and the top points connecting to the radiator support.

Anyway, all would have been fine, but my roommate ended up jerking my car a few times during the short trip, and the result is that the nut on the inside of the radiator support was pulled through the metal. I have a new bracket on the way, but I'm not sure how to go about bolting it on this damaged side, because there's no access inside the radiator support (the stock nuts are welded from the inside). Any thoughts on a fix? I will post some pics later to give a better idea of the damage.

Spartan66 01-03-2008 04:51 PM

RE: Did something stupid, now I need some help...

Not sure how i can help but future word to the wise, Camaros arent supposed to be towed without a dolly under the wheels or on a trailer..

95sport 01-03-2008 04:55 PM

Well if it was short enough of a trip i would have opted for pushing it lol

Chappie99 01-03-2008 07:20 PM

Dude.?.?.?????? Your giving us a bad name.. Use your head next time. They make tow trucks for a reason. So the $25. tow is now gonna cost you 3X that. Just hope you didnt bend the radiator support.

ninetysixyenko 01-03-2008 07:25 PM

95 3.8? arent the 3.8s rare in 95, like few and far between, something like canad was making the 3.8s in 95 and cali was making the 3.4s? and like only 500 or 1000 or something like that of the 3.8s were made in late 95? not sure, just what i think. nice looking car, deffently best stock wheels ive ever seen lol, nice and shiny.

95sport 01-03-2008 08:50 PM

Yeah the 95 3.8's are rare it was like 6% of all camaros in 95 that had the 3.8 i believe.

Spartan66 01-04-2008 02:11 AM

reguardless, todays lesson, Camaros arent ment to be towed by your friends truck. GM says that they shouldnt be towed more than 30miles at 15mph... or was it the otherway around.. either way.. not a good idea...

95sport 01-04-2008 12:03 PM

Well,i know if mine ever goes down its time to call in the roll-back wrecker.

95camaro74 01-04-2008 02:25 PM

OK, lecture time's over.[:@]

I know it was stupid. I knew it was stupid as I was doing it. But it was only a couple miles, and I figured it would be fine. I did know better, but I did it anyway. I can't begin to tell you guys how I felt when I saw what had happened...this beautiful car that I was lucky enough to find, that had been so well taken care of. I felt terrible.

But...I just want to get it fixed now, and fix it right. The radiator support isn't damaged at all, aside from where the nut came through. Should I just take it to a body shop?

95camaro74 01-04-2008 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: 95sport

Yeah the 95 3.8's are rare it was like 6% of all camaros in 95 that had the 3.8 i believe.
Cool to know! So I guess a 95 3.8L with the Mystic Teal paint is even more rare??