Dex-cool

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Dex-cool

Just wondering what you guys think about the DEX-COOL antifreeze and wondering if I should switch to a different kind or not.

From what I've read, under perfect conditions (no leaks or other problems), it works great and lasts 5 years/150,000 miles, but if you ever do have a leak, it can turn acidic and eat up seals/gaskets and cause major problems if air gets into the system.

My car is 20 years old now (1995 3.4L), so I don't want to assume perfect conditions because things wear out on it all the time. I switched over to DEX-COOL in December 2011 after I got another engine due to a blown head gasket. When I picked up the car from the shop, it had DEX-COOL in it, so I just let it be.

Now I think some of my hoses are old and have slow leaks. I have to add a little coolant once or twice every few weeks or so.

SO, should I just replace the bad hoses and get on with my life, or should I switch to a different kind of antifreeze? I've heard good things about yellow antifreeze. What do you guys think?

ALSO, I know you can't just mix different kinds of antifreeze. Would a regular coolant system flush be good enough to clean out the system before switching to a different kind? What is the correct procedure to switch to a different kind?

Old 12-28-2014, 02:17 PM
2nd Gear member

I have used Dex-Cool in my Trans Am since I bought it new in 98. 100k miles now. I have replaced the water pump once and the system went almost dry at that time. No issues with the coolant ever. I do hear of more complaints from V6/3.8L owners, probably because of the wet intake manifold design. By the way Dex-Cool is made by several companies. It is a GM spec/standard, not just a product name.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:03 PM
4th Gear Member

The only problem with Dex-Cool (and any OAT and HOAT antifreeze/coolant for that matter) is that when it's not properly maintained, it becomes acidic and turns into a brown gunk that can and will eventually plug coolant passages and eat seals/gaskets. When it's maintained as recommended, it is fine.

Personally, I run the standard old green ethylene glycol for the simple fact that it's cheap and it is available every where. Though Dex-Cool isn't that hard to find either, just costs a few bucks more.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:22 PM
4th Gear Member

I'm with MK

Peak or Walmart brand and I don't buy the pre-mix. Why pay $1 less for 1/2 gallon of water?

I flush every 2 years or 30k miles in all of my cars

Old 12-29-2014, 09:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

flush it out if your changing to the green stuff. do not want to mix the two different kinds. turns to jello. i have always used the green stuff. probably should have changed your head gaskets before installing the newer engine.