Coolant spewing out overflow

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Rad cap. Had the same issue.

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
Pulled into my garage today and the temp guage hit the last line before the red. I thought it was running a tad hot so shut her off and popped the hood and coolant was spewing out the overflow tank. There are no leaks that i am aware of.

Any help appreciated! Could an air lock have caused this?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for your responses.

Filled with water, bled and replaced rad cap. Have driven around and problem hasnt happened again so have drained and filled with coolant. Am just praying it doesnt happen again..

Just a Q regarding bleeding, according to the notes i have read, after filling you should run engine with rad cap off, and add coolant as needed. Issue i have is as soon as the t stat opens, all the coolant just starts comming out the radiator so i end up just putting the cap on and using the bleed screws.. Am having no heat issues now. Needle sits at a quarter highway, goes just above half in heavy traffic
how much coolant is coming out? its normal for some to pour out when bleeding but should not blast out. I usually start bleeding with it cold with the heater off and holding the rpms at 2k until it gets to normal temp and the bubbles stop and then turn on the heater full blast and hold til 2k till the bubbles stop and repeat til i see no bubbles.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

mine has done that too and i did the same thing. seems to work ok for me. i check level when its cold and its always full to bottom of the rim.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Just a Q regarding bleeding, according to the notes i have read, after filling you should run engine with rad cap off, and add coolant as needed. Issue i have is as soon as the t stat opens, all the coolant just starts comming out the radiator so i end up just putting the cap on and using the bleed screws..
That's perfectly normal. That happens because when the thermostat opens, out comes hot coolant. And hot coolant does what? Right, it expands and because of that it's under pressure!! The object is to not have the cap off when the thermostat opens.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RFxCamaro
how much coolant is coming out? its normal for some to pour out when bleeding but should not blast out. I usually start bleeding with it cold with the heater off and holding the rpms at 2k until it gets to normal temp and the bubbles stop and then turn on the heater full blast and hold til 2k till the bubbles stop and repeat til i see no bubbles.
When I first start the car with rad cap off (for bleeding) coolant doesnt come out, although there are a few bubbles comming out which concerns me a bit. I'm aware there shouldnt be bubbles like that however was attributing it to just air in the system. I've no reason to believe I have a leak as I am not loosing any coolant.

Its not until the t stat opens that the coolant starts bubbling out the top forcing me to put the cap on or risk loosing all the coolant. I am unable to leave the engine running at normal temp with the cap off as the guage keeps rising.