Convertible top issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Convertible top issues

94 camaro with a convertible top. I can unlatch and move the top back but it will not go all the way down. When i push the button i can here a motor going but nothing happens. Any ideas on what to check?

Old 11-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

does it even try to move? Can you "help" it along? The hydralic system is very simple. A pump and 2 pistons. If you can hear the pump then it is most likely the line or the pistons themselfs.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I havent tried to help it along since i cant push the button and push the top back all the way. Havent tried pushing it back then pushing the button to see if it will raise.

What can i check and how do i check it?

Old 11-23-2011, 02:49 PM

try checking the pump tank left side of trunk.i have a slow leak and add fluid every few months

Old 11-25-2011, 03:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So I unlatched the top tried moving it. Tried putting it down and moving it. Tried helping it along and nothing. Thought at one point I could here some gurgling or something on the passenger side. How do i check my pump for fluid and how to I fill it and with what?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Overdrive Member

Be sure you use a ten-weight SAE oil!

You might have a similar issue, also ensure your fluid is at the proper level.

Document ID# 899536
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
Service VME - Convertible Top Will Not Open or Close #PI00205 - (Jul 11, 2002)

Service VME -- Convertible Top Will Not Open or Close

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

SERVICE VME

This is a service VME to Chevrolet and Pontiac dealerships regarding 2002 Camaro and Firebird convertibles with a leaking hydraulic line on the left convertible top cylinder. The St. Torres plant has noted that 2002 convertibles built prior to March 28th may develop a leak in the hydraulic top system that could cause the top not to open or close properly. The leak may occur at the upper hose on the top of the left hydraulic cylinder. When the top was loaded into these vehicles the line could have become bent at the fitting, which could result in an eventual leak. To repair the leak at the fitting, open the manual valve at the pump to relieve the system pressure, unscrew the nut and remove the line from the cylinder. Remove the ferrule and the inner sleeve in the end of the line and push the nut back about two inches. Using care, take a sharp knife and make a clean cut behind the bend in the line. Caution: Do not remove any more than ½ inch of hose. Reinstall the ferrule and reinsert the sleeve, reattach the line to the cylinder and close the manual valve at the pump. Cycle the top several times to remove any air from the system.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:25 PM
Default Bad Switch or wiring issue?

Hey guys any help is appreciated. I bought a 94 Z28s convertible with the top not working. The motor was not responding to the switch. There are 4 terminals to the switch. Only one of the terminals had power. It was terminal C. Not sure if that is how it should be. Anyhow I replaced the switch and the up button worked! However the down button does not work still. Think I have another defective switch or a wiring Issue? Thank you in advance.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hi guys. None the reply's ever said what fluid to use. ???

Old 09-10-2020, 01:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It's most likely Dexron III ATF but you should get a different opinion before just putting that in.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Blackrag
Hi guys. None the reply's ever said what fluid to use. ???
Go back up to response #6 of this topic. It states that a service bulletin was issued in 2002 which says to use a straight 10W oil for the top.

Quick Reply: Convertible top issues