Console Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Question Console Swap Question

Planning to put a late model 4th Gen Camaro (not Firebird) AT Console in an early model ('95).

Early Gen center console SUCKS!!!! (understatement)

I've seen pics of this done and it looks great (gap not a problem) and I'm told they will simple interchange. Anybody done this and have any comments on any mods needed? BTW, I need a vert top switch and bezel for the later Gen model. Missed one on eBay. Any help from anyone with one or a source?

Last edited by MyOtherRide'sAVette; 12-09-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

why do you wanna swap? i love the older console it comes to the driver and faces directly at me

Old 12-09-2009, 11:02 PM

"it comes to the driver and faces directly at me", sorry I'm not understanding! Or perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I was referring to the center, floor console.

The early 4th Gen floor console has a non-funtional lidded compartment that has the plastic hinge assembly broken in every 4th Gen I've been in. The cup holder only holds a glass, not a cup; the cigarette lighter and top switch are in a piece of crap, plastic bezel, that is in a bad spot located next to an exposed to view tape cassette storage compartment (even in the units equipped from the factory with a CD player). The later 4th Gens had (4) cup holders, one that actually holds a cup, CD storage under the lid, coin storage cube, better designed lighter and top switch bezel, and an accessory plug.

Here's some pics of a TA console retrofitted into an early 4th Gen Camaro

Attached Thumbnails Console Swap Question-02-ta-int-94-01.jpg   Console Swap Question-02-ta-int-94-02.jpg  

Last edited by MyOtherRide'sAVette; 01-16-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

my bad ur right, the center console is much better

Old 01-17-2010, 11:14 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As far as I know the centers will just switch out. IMO it looks like a$$ with just the console and if you're going to do it, then do the whole dash with it.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yeah, that huge gap would bug me too much. I would just jerry-rig the console lid, use a visor holder for cds, and drink from reclosable bottles rather than cans so you can put keep them in the cubby hole.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:27 AM

on a convertible how would you deal with the switch?

Old 05-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

With a console from a Convertible?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
With a console from a Convertible?

Re: Convertibles - The consoles are identical regardless of body style. The top switch is located just to the left of the cigarette lighter, just above the ashtray. Depending on the donor vehicle, this opening contains either a "pocket" storage compartment, a traction control switch, or a top switch. Most consoles sold on eBay have "whatever" removed. The switch, connector plug, and bezel are available from gmpartsdirect.com - A great source for new OEM Camaro parts, very reasonably priced.

I have secured all the parts to do mine, but have not done it yet. Just busy! I believe it safe to assume the existing switch plug is on a harness run in the dash. With the void that will be created between the upgraded console and dash it will no doubt be necessary to add length to the wires (for both the switch and cigarette lighter) and route under the carpet in front of the console. You will also have to wire for the auxillary "power plug" in the upgraded console. You might want to consider adding a light in the storage compartment controlled by a "lid switch". I have not determined if the plugs interchange on the top switches (the switches are different), but I would assume not (welcome to the world of GM). I have not checked the color coding on the wires. If they are the same colors they should simply splice together, if the colors are different, a wiring diagram for both is advised.

A note about buying a donor console: I watch these move on eBay. I just saw one go for $375.00 plus shipping (rediculous!). I paid $120 and $20 S&H ea, from two different Sellers, and got near perfect units, one with the top switch. Figure on no plugs, but ask Seller, they might have and be willing to include. "All" the plugs! Be patient and wait for a NICE one! I see one or two turn up every couple weeks or less. Be wary, there are three different colors of these consoles. Graphite is the only correct color match for early Gen 4 (pre '97 models). Also, the AT shifter on a Camaro and a Firebird are marked differently - 1,2,3,D on a Firebird, 1,2,D,OD on a Camaro. RESEARCH the cost of buying missing parts if you are considering buying a unit that is not complete.

Need some help? Contact me thru the PM system and I will be glad to help. I'm hoping to get around to doing mine in the next couple weeks and will create complete instructions with pics when I do.

Attached Thumbnails Console Swap Question-97-console.jpg  

Last edited by MyOtherRide'sAVette; 05-17-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 05-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Overdrive Member

I have a 98-02 Console for sale in Ebony, if you're interested...

Quick Reply: Console Swap Question