To Chip, or not to Chip...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Default To Chip, or not to Chip...

OK, being new to working on modern performance cars, I have what is probally a totally noob question...

I have heard some people speak of high performance chips in glowing terms. They explain that since the computer can change all aspects of how an engine runs, changing out the chip will gain you a nice boost in performance.

I have also heard people speak of the complete and total scam that Chipping is. Almost no performance gains, it's all in the users head... that kind of thing.

I ask, because I want to gain a little performance in my 94 Z-28. I'm not going to replace any internals... just new plugs, wires, rotors and coil... maybe a cold air intake... cat back exaust (OK, MAYBE headers....) but nothing big. Just a little more pep to deal with the DC traffic. I just want to know if Chipping is the way to go... or a total waste.

Thank you all for your help and knowledge.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:14 AM
H2C
2nd Gear member

bumping cause id like to know aswell

Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

most all the chips out there arrr junk, however there are more than one type of chip. the 93 and older cars have a memcal that is a chip of sorts and you can add a prom between the memcal and the computer that changes the tune of the car. you have a 94 that requires the computer be tuned. here are a couple places that are very good at tuning. it is best to get your mods done and then tune but both places offer a free retune so you can do a tune now and when you get done with mods have it redone. tuning a stock car will give you gains in power and mpg.
http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...d=44&Itemid=40
http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/service/

Old 11-18-2010, 11:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CoyotesLaugh
OK, being new to working on modern performance cars, I have what is probally a totally noob question...

I have heard some people speak of high performance chips in glowing terms. They explain that since the computer can change all aspects of how an engine runs, changing out the chip will gain you a nice boost in performance.

I have also heard people speak of the complete and total scam that Chipping is. Almost no performance gains, it's all in the users head... that kind of thing.

I ask, because I want to gain a little performance in my 94 Z-28. I'm not going to replace any internals... just new plugs, wires, rotors and coil... maybe a cold air intake... cat back exaust (OK, MAYBE headers....) but nothing big. Just a little more pep to deal with the DC traffic. I just want to know if Chipping is the way to go... or a total waste.

Thank you all for your help and knowledge.
just a little chuckle came over me when I saw that you have a 1994Z and mentioned "modern performance car"

anyway, I highly recommend Solomon at lt1pcmtuning. In fact, I just did a $30 returning customer tune with him as I had VATS tuned out and also leaned out the mixture a bit.

When i bought my 07 stang it was all of 10 days before I took delivery of my SCT handheld tuner and also had a few tunes created by Justin at VMP. my Z is no different but being OBD1, i use Solomon. I won't run a factory tune.

With modern cars (drive by wire) you really need to get them tuned. It's pathetic when factory tunes won't immediately shut down injectors to slow you down when you take your foot off of the gas or on auto trannies, they wait what seems like an eternity to downshift when you mash the throttle. It's as if the factory tune wants to give you lots of time to decide if you really want to accellerate.

So a quick response is

ABSOLUTELY GET A TUNE and get it tuned for premium fuel

Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 PM

just a little chuckle came over me when I saw that you have a 1994Z and mentioned "modern performance car"

Well.... my last "toy" car was a 69 GTO. Most modern toy I ever had... 75 Firebird. Havent had anything to play with for 13 years (Having kids takes away the toy budget quickly) so the 94 isin't the most modern thing... but compared to the open engine bays and ZERO computers I'm used to.... this thing is modern as H***.

Thank you all for the input!

Last edited by greenarrow; 11-19-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: FFF!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:19 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Ugh why do tuning sites like pcmforless not do 1993's?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

they do. i had mine done. its the 3.4 they dont do right?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get ahold of solomon and see, im pretty sure he does the 3.4.
http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/service/

Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CoyotesLaugh

Well.... my last "toy" car was a 69 GTO. Most modern toy I ever had... 75 Firebird. Havent had anything to play with for 13 years (Having kids takes away the toy budget quickly) so the 94 isin't the most modern thing... but compared to the open engine bays and ZERO computers I'm used to.... this thing is modern as HELL.

Thank you all for the input!
Man oh man you chose what must be the most difficult of all engine bays.

My stang is a dream compared to my 95Z with respect to access. I'm also restoring an 89 RS and that engine bay is much better than the 4th gens.

TIG looks around to make sure none of the "old guys" are around

My very first car I owned was a 69 Galaxie with a 302 and i could actually stand inside the engine compartment to work on the engine. My small block Mopar was a bear and I had to chop it to heck to fit in the headers.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default tune

I would play with the idea of getting the computer tuned in it, just find someone who is knowledgeable with what they are doing. Yes it is modern compared to what you are used to. I like the looks of the older stuff, but I love the way my newer stuff handles, brakes, and goes with really good fuel mileage. Have fun with it.

Quick Reply: To Chip, or not to Chip...