Cats and emissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:41 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Cats and emissions

I got the ebst way to pass emissions, go to a friends shop lol, thats all i can give ya, or.... live in Putnam County in NY

Old 08-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Overdrive Member

Technically all inspections start with a visual inspection, if you don't pass that you don't get to test. You should always be running premium fuel in your Z, that way your computer won't have to retard the timing to eliminate knock.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:22 PM
4th Gear Member

Premium is friggin expensive tho!!!!! lol.

I wasjust thinking of thigns i could do for like the day to make my car pass emissions... you guys seriously run premiumregularly tho?

Hey 95, do you have a clip of your exhaust by chance?

Old 08-22-2007, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are terribly concerned, just pick up a cat, weld on some flanges, and bolt it up. After you pass, put your old pipe back on. If you can't weld, take it to a muffler shop.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:26 PM
4th Gear Member

lol, that was my original question. Its just that easy tho right? get a cat, cut pipe put cat in pass test cut cat out weld pipe in and wait for two years right?

Old 09-17-2007, 08:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That's what I'm planning on doing.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Man it's great living in a state where emission tests are unheard of. Whynot install a high performance, high efficiency catalytic converter? That way the car is running like it should, you suffer only a small amount on the sound, and you can pass emissions year after year.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 AM
4th Gear Member

well.... I dunno.. My exahust does kinda rattlecoming down from high rpmsbut thats kuz the guy sucked at welding and probably should get the whole thing re-hung.. I just dont want to sacrafice ANY sound... i want to beable to remove the cat after i test and then when i need it again in two years or w/e i can put it back in.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Overdrive Member

To answer a few of your questions from back in August(sorry, I must not have noticed), yes I always run premium, if you aren't you're suffering a decent loss in power. Unfortunately I do not have a clip of my exhaust, I've been trying to get a clip of it for some time, but I don't have a video camera and I don't know anybody that does(if someone wants to UPS me one, I'll be happy to make an exhaust clip asap!). If you get a performance high-flow metalic cat typically you loose about 1 hp...if that. The only down side is that when you get the car tested sometimes it takes some time for it to actually pass because the cats will cool off while the computer is recallibrating itself. My car just got tested and it had to go through one whole test, then try again, and that time it passed on the quick test because the cats where warm.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:00 PM
4th Gear Member

If i get a cat i dont need to go thru the trouble of getting any sensors right... i just need the actual piece? i mean its already been programmed for a cat delete obviously so im good to go, just pick one up and weld it in.

Quick Reply: Cats and emissions