Car Won't Start; Just Clicks

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Default Car Won't Start; Just Clicks

So, here's my story:

I was driving around with my ex and decided not to stop for gas (the "check gauges" light didn't come on, so I thought I could make it a few more minutes before actually stopping to fill up). We stopped by her work so she could drop off some papers. My engine felt like it was being forced (it felt like it was out of gas... d'oh!), and my car turned off. She came back out and I tried cranking the engine, but it wouldn't go. It was definitely out of gas at this point. I tried cranking it several more times (not knowing any better). Eventually, I just started walking, planning on getting gas, and bringing it back. As I was walking, I guess she got the car to start. We went to the nearest gas station and filled my Camaro up.

I dropped her off home after some time together, drove to Wal-Mart, got some new windshield wipers, etc. Drove home. I used approximately 1/4 tank after the fill up. Then I drove to work the next day. Everything was fine. Got off work, and here's where the fun starts...

The car started, then I was going to take the tops off because it was a nice-enough day. Suddenly, my car stopped. I tried to turn it on again, but nothing. I thought it was the battery. I called my uncle, who lived nearby. He tried giving me a jump. Nothing. We switched batteries (same exact battery: Optima Red Top with 3/8 side). Long story, short: he said it was the fuel pump. All this in the parking lot of my work (I work at a grocery store).

Got it towed to my house because my ex's friend was supposed to come over and help me out. To this point, he never really did.

At my house I ordered a fuel pump off eBay. Just the pump, not the whole mechanism. All by myself, I dropped the fuel tank, replaced the fuel pump, reinstalled the fuel tank. I had to take off the exhaust at the catalytic converter. I'm at home while doing this, so I couldn't take the exhaust completely off, I had to make due with the amount of space I had. Syphoned the fuel out before removing the tank, obviously.

Tried turning on the car and all it did was make a sound like it wanted to go, but it just wouldn't start. There's gas in the tank, though. I put some in. Replaced the fuel filter as well. More fun on the way...

Kept trying to crank it and make it start. Gave it "gas" by pressing the pedal. Nothing. This whole time the engine just kept making a noise like it wanted to start, but just wouldn't. Now, the engine won't make any noise but this click. Like a big light going off kinda click. Went to AutoZone, had them check the battery, they said it was bad and they would charge it. Bought a new starter.

AutoZone couldn't charge my battery cuz they said it was bad, so I bought a new Inter-State one for $100. Replaced the battery. I had them test the starter and they said it started up fine, and ran well, and that it passed their test. They said if I had a problem with it, it might be the solenoid.

I replaced the battery and starter in my car. Needless to say when I removed and replaced the starter, I had to remove the exhaust from the engine to get to the starter. I also replaced the spark plugs for good measure (and good thing because the other ones where pretty black). And before all this mess happened, I changed the oil.

I tried starting the car, but nothing. Just the same click. Now when I step out and hear the engine, it makes this electrical noise like it's getting power to something, and then I hear "click, click."

My ex's friend said my engine might be locked.

My question after this whole story is... What is wrong with my car? And what can I do about it?

At home I only have hand tools. No power tools or air compressor or anything. Limited space with my car on jacks. Please help! Know that I am on a budget. I just got this car, but am almost positive it's not under warranty. I got it maybe 3 months ago and I think it was only a 30-day warranty. If I could just get my car running again, I'd be so happy. I like the car, just not the negative experience I've had in it so far. Please help in any way ya'll can. Thank you.

Here's the progression:
1. Ran out of gas
2. Changed fuel pump
3. Engine would not turn over to start, but was trying
4. Changed spark plugs
5. Car Still wouldn't start, but was trying
6. Took out and switched fuel pump and ac relay
7. Engine only clicked (from this point on engine only clicks)
8. Switched relays back, but engine only clicks
9. Started messing with starter
10. Screwed... lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, I forgot to mention car details:
2001 Chevrolet Camaro
V6 3.8L Engine - 3800 Series II
T-Top

New Starter: Duralast Gold Starter
New Fuel Pump: 255LPH Fuel Pump

Old 06-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Btw, you can go back to the other thread and Edit/Delete your other posts.
Moved...
Oh man, you gotta stop throwing parts at the car hoping it will fix it. When it quit and you tried to restart it and got "nothing" was it just clicking then, or nothing meaning it turned over but no start? If it's not cranking over, why would your uncle recommend a fuel pump? The two aren't related. And you bought a new starter? Which one did AutoZone test, the new one or your old one? See if you can invest in a test meter, you can get them cheap enough. You can use it to test the battery, alternator output, if the starter solenoid is getting power with the key, etc. If the engine cranks over, but no start, you need to determine if it's a fuel or spark problem, before buying parts and wasting time. Putting a little gas into the TB will tell you if it's a fuel supply problem. If it doesn't fire up momentarily, check for spark. If all it's doing now is clicking, check all your battery connections, power at the starter, and ground cables.

Generally engines don't just "lock up" out of the clear blue. Usually it will tell you first with some serious overheating, clanking, banging, etc.
TB=throttle body, sorry. So before you messed with the starter it cranked over, and now it just clicks? I would trace my steps, and make sure you have everything hooked up correctly. I don't know if your starter solenoid is set up like older ones that had two small terminals in addition to the main battery cable? If yours has two small terminals, did you hook up to the right one?

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-03-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

aslopez, I can't PM you back. Must be because of your newness here? But to answer, yes I would

Old 06-03-2010, 04:40 PM

The starter solenoid is right on top of the starter. It has two posts and I hooked it back up just like it was before. One terminal is bigger than the other, so it'd be hard to mix them up.

Gorn, how do I turn the engine over by hand? What size socket/wrench would I need? Where is the bolt located? It seems to me that the bold is the one in the center of a disc with like 5 bolts around it.

Camaro 69, what's the throttle body and where is it located? I'm willing to do the work, but am kinda new on the whole Camaro scene.

Thanks again,.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by aslopez1986
The starter solenoid is right on top of the starter. It has two posts and I hooked it back up just like it was before. One terminal is bigger than the other, so it'd be hard to mix them up.
Gorn, how do I turn the engine over by hand? What size socket/wrench would I need? Where is the bolt located? It seems to me that the bold is the one in the center of a disc with like 5 bolts around it.
Camaro 69, what's the throttle body and where is it located? I'm willing to do the work, but am kinda new on the whole Camaro scene.
Thanks again,.
The throttle body is on top of the intake manifold, the intake/air filter plenum pipe leads to it. It does what carburetors used to do, only way differently.
You might be able to grab one of the pulleys by hand and move the engine just enough to know that is isn't locked up (hopefully)
Starter, ok yours doesn't have the extra terminal like older ones did. They used to have two where one fed power to older ignition systems. We don't need to get into that.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends. take both lose and wire brush the heck outa them. check the grounds. not real sure where the grounds are on the 3.8,,, follow the negative ground cable from the battery and make sure the other end is tight, clean and is connecting good. i have had someone try to start the motor as i watched and listened and have found bad connections that way. one time it made a little smoke.
yes there should be a bolt in the center of the balancer (round pully at the bottom front of the motor) and you can put a socket on it and turn the motor over. turn it as though your tightening the bolt so it doesnt come lose. should turn slow fairly easily, also dont get carried away putting to much pressure on it. it will handle alot (torqued to 75ft pounds) but its not a bolt you want to strip.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

just throwing this out there, tranny neutral switch possibly? I had a 86 sable that had that prob..
p.s. dont ever put a ex and a camaro near each other.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 PM

Camaro 69, well my starter has 3 terminals. One looks like its for ground. One goes straight wire from the solenoid to the starter and the other... Well i dunno. But its there and has a wire connected. Lol. Ill try pulling on the belt to see if i can make it move. As long as its not locked i think ill be ok?

Craby, ill try and see where the negative cable leads to make sure. Could it possibly be a relay that is halting the whole thing? Like if the ignition, fuel pump, or ac relay was bad, would the engine still start?

Auto, my car's automatic. I dunno if that changes what some of u have been saying. Lol. Ill make sure and keep her away from my camaro in the future.
Ex+Camaro=Big Problems
lol

unfortuneately im at work since 3-11. Ill try some of this stuff tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. Support.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should be a big wire and a little wire. big wire of course goes to the big terminal and is the hot wire for the starter and as long as the battery is hooked up it has power to it. the little wire goes to the s terminal and is the wire that goes to the igntion switch. it should be hot when the key is turned to the start position only.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Overdrive Member

This whole thing sounds like loose or bad connections. The click, click (pause) click, Click is usually the engine relays turning on then the current draw causes them to reset back to the off position and rinse and repeat. This is caused by low battery charge (a brand new battery should be fully charged) or loose connections. Check the cables to make sure they are not cross threaded on the battery (very common with side posts and will cause your problems). When you do this there is a good chance you will get enough power for everything but the starter so check it out.

NEVER just buy a part for your car unless you know it is bad. I work at an autopart store and I hate selling people parts they don't need and I usually will start asking them questions about what is the car doing. People bring me relays all the time, I usually send them home with their relay and give them ideas of what is really wrong. Relays rarely go bad and I can test them (and I do test them for customers) I think I sell 2 relays for every 50 I test. A good part sales man will not just sell you a starter because you say "all the car does is make a fast clicking sound when I try to start the car" If so he is just looking for a sale that he knows you will not be able to return once you install it. When I have a customer tell me about the clicking flags go up in my head that the starter may be just fine and they need to charge the battery, check/replace cables, and I offer to test and charge the battery and starter for them if they can get the items to me. I tell them that I don't want to sell them a $150 starter when they need a $80 battery and that if the starter is not the problem the battery is the starter is not returnable once installed. I usually get the customer to walk out of the store not spending any money but returning a little while later with the car or parts for me to test and then I sell them the correct part the first time. That makes a customer happy and keeps them coming back to my store.

Oh and if ya didnt know "Cross threading" is when the threads of the bolt and nut (in this case battery post) are not lined up correctly and actually cutting into each other. They will feel like they are tight but in reality they are not. The bolt should go in at a 90 degree angle on all sides to the post.

Massey

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start; Just Clicks