Car value

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Car value

What would you price this camaro at?

Only thing wrong with it is the check engine light is on, its for something dumb. I forget what dealership said, but tech said not worth messing with it, it don't effect the car other then check engine lite. Car runs fine with it, only thing is the high flow fan comes on a few seconds after start (auto for check engine i guess) as you can hear in video. video makes it a bit louder then it is.

Also no ac, as compressor etc, just not the ac condenser/lines(no clue why, i got it like that). It's a replacement used engine so they probably said the heck with it lol.

Hood needs painting, it had a cowl hood and windshield is cracked. Other then what was mentioned its a great running car.

95 lt1 z28 136k on car, unknown on engine. i was told it was under 60k when put in, but I do not know so not claiming it.

P.S; T tops don't leak

Edit: It don't smoke or use oil etc (clearly you cant tell in video at 29 out)

Last edited by wayne242; 02-02-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Is that purple??

Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Depends on how the sun hits it i guess, but i would say maroon or purple.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear member

It must be the Medium Patriot Red like mine. It looks maroon colored but yours in the video had the purplish tint. They did make a deep purple color that year and I think it's pretty. It's my favorite color but the color I have is my favorite 4th gen color.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

When talking about used car the area is important. I can say here in PA a Multi color cracked windshield and check engine light 95 would sell for about $1700 on craigs list and about $1200 at auction.

Maybe if you knew the code for the check engine is might help, most people will not go near a car that has had a transplant and now has a check engine light. None of the "it will not hurt anything" emission code I know of will turn the fan on.

We had a car that was in just about the same condition on Craigs list most of last summer for 2K. No idea if or what it sold for.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 AM
2nd Gear member

I would stay away from it myself. I dont know if youre a handy kind of guy, but youll need to be sooner or later with a car like this. The check engine light is on for a reason, not just because the bulb wants to be on.... Also, if the engine light is on, the car is probably running in an open loop condition, which will compromise fuel mileage essentially bypassing computer commands. In short, when the engine light is on, something is wrong. The dealer will always say its something simple... dont believe them! If I wanted a project and was looking at this car, Id offer $1000. for it.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

How long have you owned this car, and how much total do you have invested in it?
There are plenty of 95 Z28's in my area, with a little less miles and in better condition (things work, A/C in tact, doesn't need a paint job or windshield) that are in the mid to upper $3's. You're likely to wind up selling your car closer to the $2k range. A "newer" engine can help the value, only if it can be proven with paperwork.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 02-02-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Not trying to get top dollar out of it. Just want to list it for a fair price. Engine is marked from salvage yard as 64k miles, but it was put in be for i got the car. I have rear-end investments in the car, new axles/bearings etc. Plus suspension upgrades. The car runs great, I just bought an older camaro to restore so selling it for money to put into the restore. If it was not for that i would keep this car, never had a single problem with it.

The check engine is tripped by something that does not effect the performance of the engine, so i personally never cared. It runs nice and smooth, hard to hear from that high flow secondary fan in video.

Check engine light stays on, and I still get 17 mpg city/country driving around here (lots of turns/hills). $20 bucks gets me about 6 gallons, i can go 103-109 miles on that. By no means bad. Windshield installed is $164, priced it already.

I see wrecked one's on craigs for 2-3k.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If that's what wrecked ones are selling for, then you're in a way inflated market compared to me:
1995 chevrolet camaro z28 135k
1995 CHEVY Z28 CAMARO
Some things that you can fix on that car before selling will get you back more than you spend, the windshield for one. Not everybody is looking to buy a car that has a lot of little things wrong with it. And sure, the engine light might not mean a costly fix, but in the eyes of a buyer, it could be a potential money pit for all they know. If you can get a print out of the scan, include that with the car with an estimate of repair. Or better still, if it is such an unimportant issue, it should be easy and cheap for you to fix.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I just got off the phone with an offer of $2600 after telling him about the car. Told him to come out and look it over and drive it first. I was going to price it at 2800. I got roughly a grand in the car, took it in on a trade. So anything i sell it at is a profit as long as over a grand., but like i said i just wanted to be fair on the pricing.

I can get a copy from dealer on the scan they did, it was something simple. Now that i think of it, i think it was a wire issue tripping engine light. I'm still not laying under the thing to fix it.

V6 camaro's around here go for 3k, why i was confused on the market. A 96 LT1 with locked up 6 speed sold for 3800(sure there was more wrong then that). I think its because tax time and people or stupid.