Car is up for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Kelly BB clearly marks if you are getting dealer retail, trade in, or private purchase price.

Kelly takes and average of sales, since it is known private party sales are never reported correctly it makes them up with a fudge factor. I have watched Camaro prices in my area for years and I attend auto auctions about 6 times a year.

In good condition 96 Z28 6 speed with 100,000 mile one it. In my area.

KBB $4710

Edmunds $1755

$4700 Might be a little on the wishful thinking side, 4K sound more average, but the edmund info is usless. No one is going to sell a Lt1 6 speed with 100K on it in fair condition for $1700. You can not even find a wrecked Lt1 6 speed with a good 100k motor for $1700, The funny part is edmunds shows the automatic trans as worth more then the manual. Auction sell car to much less the private party and I have never seen a running driving non wrecked Lt1 6 speed car, any year, sell for under 2K. If I had it would be in my driveway.

To the orginal poster: most people make the mistake of listing everything they have done to the car in the last 2 years. Fact is we all maintain our cars. If you have put a lot of work in your car just say "well maintained ready to go anywhere" Dealerships go out of there way to give the illusion the car they are selling has never had an issue.
when nadaguide and edminds are in the same ballpark, and kelly is 2k higher then you go with the majority, which is what i do. You need to look at all 3 but understand that kbb, in my experience, is always higher.

At the end of the day, the market determines the value. if nobody will buy the 6 speed camaro for $5k then the market is telling you it's too much $$$ despite what kbb says

car is old, has some issues
market is soft
economy stinks to the high ehavens
gas prices through the roof

that's a lot of negatives working against you. You're lucky you aren't trying to sell a house

Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear member

You can probably get away with an extra $500-$1000 added to the KBB private party value because these vehicles are seen as novelties on Craigslist and eBay (only use the free classifieds, national sales have some pretty nasty seller fees). However, this also depends on condition and mods (believe it or not, 99% of the time mods do nothing but crush your resale value because most buyers would be perfect content with paying less for a bone stock car; nobody wants to inherit someone's mess of a "project").