Car is up for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:58 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Car is up for sale

Well as I said before I'm selling my car and now it is official up for sale any tips on things I should list out etc when selling? I've never sold a car before btw, my dad is obviously helping but yeah

Old 04-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When describing the car, accentuate the positives! Don't dwell on everything the car "needs", those are negatives a buyer doesn't want to hear. They can find out all about the car when they come to see it. I'm not saying to lie by omission, but to paint a picture of the car in your head by what the words say. I've read ads by sellers before and then seen the car to see that some descriptions can make a car sound a lot worse than it really is. On the other hand, I've gone to see some "perfect" cars, only to find out they were far from it.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have bought and sold a few cars and I have found out that buyers like the details; even details you feel aren't necessary to buying or selling the car. Be as specific as possible in your posting. But like Camaro 69 said, don't put anything negative about the car. They will find out when they come to look at it. Also, I have found out that craiglist is a great place to sell your vehicles. List the car at a price about $500 more than you want or need. When I buy cars, I always look $500 up on my price range because I know that people will go down on their price. So if you want $5000, list $5500 or $6000 because people who shop on those sort of sites are always looking to drag the price down. Besides, if someone buys a car for $500 less than it was posted for, it makes them feel like they got a deal.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yea. Also people always seem to complain about common problems. For instance if someone complains about the broken dash and they want to talk you because of it just tell that all maros have that problem and tell if they don't beleive you to check the others. I have yet to find a maro without a broken dash. Also there is always going to be something wrong. If they want something perfect tell em to go to a dealership.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

If your listing your car on a site make sure you post good pictures...i normally just pass over ads that don't have pictures and make sure they aren't upsidedown or sideways. Just make your ad the way you would want to see it; think of yourself as the buyer and go from there. Tell them what they want to hear and be quick with answering emails and responses. Do what Z28freak said about the price too thats usually a good strategy.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM
4th Gear Member

appraise your vehicle at

New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com and nadaguides.com and be honest with the condition.

Do not loook at kelly blue book as those are dealer retail suggested list prices.

I just went with my son in law to buy a used truck. The seller was all too happy to show the kelly BB value. We fired up edmunds on the smartphone, showed the $2,000 discrepency to the seller, started counting out $100 bills and the seller had a sudden epipheny. Maybe the truck wasn't worth what he thought. I of course found issues with the vehicle and we got it for $500 less than edmunds suggested.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear member

As others have said:

Pictures are a must. Do not use crappy cell phone pics. Use a good 5+ megapixel camera and frame the car fully. A picture from a cell phone that looks like it was taken from the 50 yard line with the sun behind the car does you no good. Also, only have your car in the pictures.

Give your car a really good cleaning. Inside and out. A potential buyer coming to look at a car that has trash in the back seat and bird poop all over it will definitely wonder how well the car was maintained by the seller. Only costs you some time, soap and water. Use some air freshener inside especially if you or anyone has smoked in it. I have walked away from more than one car because it wasn't clean or smelled like an ashtray.

List all of the car's common options: 1994 Camaro Z28, LT1, Auto, PW, PDL, PB, PS, A/C, AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player, etc, etc.

Craigslist works well for getting your car out there. Make sure your ad has pictures, and let potential buyers know that more are available for asking. Have pics of everything: Front, rear, both sides, hood, trunk, engine, interior, wheels, etc. Pic the best looking ones for the ad and have the rest ready to email to potential buyers.

Know that potential buyers are going to want to talk you down. Also know that it is a buyers market as there are a lot of cars out there and few people with extra cash. I'm not trying to paint a picture that you can't sell, but know what is happening.

Don't take an adversarial tone with potential buyers.
Buyer, "The dash is cracked."
You, "Common issue and nothing to worry about. It's an easy fix."
Buyer, "If it's so common and easy to fix, why didn't you take care of it then?"
You, "Because I'm selling it and if you don't like it go buy some other car......"
Buyer, "Later."

Always easier to tell the buyer that since the car is 10-18 years old, that there will be some minor issues. Some buyers will expect a showroom car, others are not that finicky. But know that the buyer you tick-off and leaves in a huff, could possibly be the last one who is willing to pay your asking price.

Last edited by Grandpaswagon; 04-25-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
appraise your vehicle at

New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com and nadaguides.com and be honest with the condition.

Do not loook at kelly blue book as those are dealer retail suggested list prices.

I.
Kelly BB clearly marks if you are getting dealer retail, trade in, or private purchase price.

Kelly takes and average of sales, since it is known private party sales are never reported correctly it makes them up with a fudge factor. I have watched Camaro prices in my area for years and I attend auto auctions about 6 times a year.

In good condition 96 Z28 6 speed with 100,000 mile one it. In my area.

KBB $4710

Edmunds $1755

$4700 Might be a little on the wishful thinking side, 4K sound more average, but the edmund info is usless. No one is going to sell a Lt1 6 speed with 100K on it in fair condition for $1700. You can not even find a wrecked Lt1 6 speed with a good 100k motor for $1700, The funny part is edmunds shows the automatic trans as worth more then the manual. Auction sell car to much less the private party and I have never seen a running driving non wrecked Lt1 6 speed car, any year, sell for under 2K. If I had it would be in my driveway.

To the orginal poster: most people make the mistake of listing everything they have done to the car in the last 2 years. Fact is we all maintain our cars. If you have put a lot of work in your car just say "well maintained ready to go anywhere" Dealerships go out of there way to give the illusion the car they are selling has never had an issue.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-25-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for all the help guys and i listed everything that has been replaced in the past year (longgg list may I add) and then listed the bad at the very bottom, which is only the dash and ashtray cover missing lol, I used my cell for pictures but it has an 8 megapixel camera so I think I'm good there

I'll post a link to the actual add so you guys can lol it over when i get on an actual computer and when it stops raining ill put it out by a main intersection of everyone in my town near my house and ride my bike to work from there and pick it up later in the night when I get off, this is common practice around here and I have seen many a car sold this way

Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 PM
2nd Gear member

Be as descriptive as possible when talking about features/upgrades and remember to use proper English. Nobody wants to buy a car from a sixth grade spelling bee dropout. Also, include a multitude of PICTURES at high resolutions so a buyer knows what to expect. 8MP is good enough... that's what I use to take photos of my car because I'm too poor for a real camera.

Quick Reply: Car is up for sale