Car sometimes sputters, stalls at lights & stop signs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Car sometimes sputters, stalls at lights & stop signs

Occasionally, when I come to a stop sign or a light after traveling some distance at a high rate of speed (say 45-50 mph), my car will sputter and stall. I can throw it in park and restart with no problem, but the minute I put it into drive it stalls again. This happens most often after I've been on the highway awhile and get off an exit ramp and slow to a stop, or have been driving for a bit on a surface street and have to slow to stop. The only way to get out of the stall is to restart the car, stay in park until the light changes, then punch it. I really have no idea if this is a tranny problem or what. Any ideas? It's a '99 V6 base. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hay welcome to the forum,,, whens the last time its had new spark plugs? air filter? spark plug wires? fuel filter? have u had it scanned for trouble codes?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

what is your idle rpm? and check the air filter

Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the welcome I bought the car used in Feb '09 with about 127k miles on it and I couldn't tell you the last time the plugs and filters were changed, I know I haven't done it yet. When I take the car in to fix the wheel bearing this weekend, I'll have them change the plugs and filters. I know the car does not idle high or rough, it actually idles quite nicely. I know OT for this thread but does anyone know how much it will cost me to replace a wheel bearing? Thanks!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 AM
In the Staging Lanes

BTW, when you have a fuel pump replaced, do they replace the fuel filter? Sorry for any dumb questions but you have to understand, I know **nothing** about cars. That was the (ex)husband's forte, not mine! Someone once asked me if I ever checked my signal fluid b/c that could be the problem and I actually had to think about it for a minute, I'm THAT clueless! LMAO

Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the good oem hubs are about 2 hundred bucks ea. for the part. not hard to change. if u had someone change the pump, if they changed the filter it should show up on the invoice. it would be logical to change it if chaging the pump.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

could also possible be a short...I was having similar problems with random stalling at lights/stop signs I changed the fuel pump etc but ended up needing to take it to a chevy dealer which ran me a few hundred

Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 AM
3rd Gear Member

lmao signal FLUID!!! sounds to me like a vacuum leak, does it only happen when the car has warmed up a bit?

Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes, definitely once it's warmed up. I'm going to take it to the shop next weekend, tell them about it, see about the plugs and wires, get that bearing fixed and have my coolant flushed so I can try out that Steel Seal. Wonder what will go next???

Old 05-10-2010, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

as the car stalls ...does it seem to try and lundge and jerk forward as if it was a manual transmission with the clutch not being pressed?
if soo it could also be the torque converter lock-up staying engaged.
they don't come on until the car is warmed up

Quick Reply: Car sometimes sputters, stalls at lights & stop signs