Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Can i add traction control? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/can-i-add-traction-control-80053/)

Warren02SS 05-16-2016 05:06 AM

Can i add traction control?

I was installing a new radio today, and I noticed when I had the radio bezel off that the there was a wire harness going to where the traction control (ASR) switch would be (it just plugs in to a blank plastic button on my bezel) except my 02ss didn't come with traction control. Would it be really that easy just to get the asr switch, plug it in and I have traction control?

Everett#2390 05-16-2016 06:20 AM

Why?
There were very few '02's without ASR of the total run of '02 Coupes, 5468
Coupes with A4, 1457 without ASR

However, if wheel sensors are in place and harness hooked up, why not try it?

Gorn 05-16-2016 06:54 AM

GM Tends to wire the cars for everything. If you pull a set of manual seats there is a connector to plug in power seats. Wiring harnesses are cheap and having a part number for every option wiring that might be ordered would be insane.

Your car will not have the wheel sensors or the under hood hardware and cables to work. Just google “ASR 2002 Camaro.” When I was looking for a 3:42 rear there are two options for 98-02, with ASR and without ASR. There would also be software modes needed and maybe a module. It would take some research to add because most threads I see are about removing.

grasshopper645 05-16-2016 09:05 PM

The ASR is pretty crap anyway. Basically just have no accelerator if you start to skid. I guess it could save you if you enjoy burning up the back and dont know how to handle it

Thefoodman52 05-18-2016 05:47 PM

The way it works is it combines pulsing the rear disc brakes, as well as governing your throttle body.
Taps your brakes and lifts your gas pedal, basically. Kind of annoying, but in wet weather it's nice some times if you're not paying attention.

Like Gorn said though, there's other stuff that needs to be in the car for it to work, and yours doesn't apparently have it.

95 camaro 406 05-19-2016 01:39 PM

its my understanding that is just starts you off in second gear for snow ice slippery condtions ,I would not even think about using it in my 99 ,my 95 does not have it ,its a winter option an kinda of a waste ,unless you drive your ss in winter wich to some would be a sin,if it has power to it ,I would think about hooking an amp to it

Gorn 05-19-2016 08:16 PM

Your throttle cable runs to a controller and the controller open the throttle. It will let off the throttle when you start to spin. With my LS1 I run all season radial in the winter months. On a nice sunny day if a get on it the car will spin like crazy with ASR off. I am hoping with my new summer tires wheel spin will not be as bad.

grasshopper645 05-20-2016 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406 (Post 711089)
its my understanding that is just starts you off in second gear for snow ice slippery condtions ,I would not even think about using it in my 99 ,my 95 does not have it ,its a winter option an kinda of a waste ,unless you drive your ss in winter wich to some would be a sin,if it has power to it ,I would think about hooking an amp to it

Second gear start is separate to ASR. I think it was an option on v6 4th gens. ASR was an option on z28 and standard on SS.

Can someone confirm this?

95 camaro 406 05-20-2016 12:22 PM

sgs you right ,it starts the car in second gear Asr Acceleration slip regulation so different in the way they work Asr throttles down the engine .an sgs starts one off in second gear Asr low trac I had in my 2002 mercury marquise ,don't know if they only had one or other in base cars my 99 base has sgs ,but they both have the same idea to keep the traction better in rain or snow ,wich is not a worry for me so far ,driving these car in in winter is riskey I think ,my mercury being much heavyer did well in snow but better with ,studs in back was better not much ,an on ice nothing is good ,I guess if you drive the 4th gen around town slow very slow you can get around on a snowy day like 10mph ,but I would never risk it,i know some that don t have another car they do what they have to do ,,one time I drove a 94 tbird for one winter it was all over the place with 200lbs of sand in the trunk scary,had a friend drove his 79 z for one year ,but not on snowy days

Warren02SS 05-21-2016 02:18 AM

Well I connected the asr button and it doesn't do anything.