Are camaros safe? i need some facts

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Default Are camaros safe? i need some facts

fghfhf

Last edited by vashnlol; 02-27-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

any car no matter what it is can be dangerous. Having a v6 at a young age is a good idea, because even a v6 has more hp than anybody actually needs. I've had a few mustangs with 5.0's and any RWD is going to be harder in winter than any FWD, especially trucks and sports cars. If you want a camaro, have your dad come to this forum and check it out for himself. and people drive camaro's turst me. I just bought one yesterday. So if you really want a camaro tell your dad they are just as dangerous as sis's camry or whatever it is she has. She can get in a fender bender just as easily as anyone, word of advice, if it needs a lot of mechanical work keep lookin, i picked up my 95 for 1,500 and drove it home. Mine just needs new bushings and that's not a hard fix. So make sure you can drive it home, if not find another camaro.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:14 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

man, tell your dad that you want some factual evidence about his claims. the fact that he is so happy with a 93 camry shows where his mentality lies with vehicles. lots of people drive camaros, and they are very safe, and very reliable.

personal experience, and i am sure others will agree. the statement about being more expensive to fix is garbage. here is an idea, go and price out some body panels, or engine components for an import car, and then price them out for a domestic.

and like i said, ask him for some hard evidence as to why the camaro is an "unsafe and unreliable" gm product. bet you he can't give you any.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I want proof that Camaro's are "unsafe and unreliable".

Old 09-13-2009, 07:38 PM

fghfghfg

Last edited by vashnlol; 02-27-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:44 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

F-bodys are very safe cars for new drivers. The V6 and V8 camaro and firebird share the same frame and cage. First off it is a big car that leaves a lot of room from the driver and any large objects it may come in contact with. Second the car was made to handle high speed crashes. You dont see them roll over much (thanks to the large wheel base) but i have seen guys walk away from roll overs in T-top F-bodys before.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

A camaro being a rear wheel drive alone makes it harder to drive in winter months. I'm sure if the snow isn't too deep it'll get around without much hassle if you take it easy. I had an 87 mustang fox body with a 5.0 and drove it through 2 nebraska winters, wasn't easy but I got it done. You'll probably get stuck easier than a FWD car, but if you get a 4th gen most should have abs, and i know my v6 has a low traction light if the tires break loose. All in All don't try to bust through 3 foot snow drifts, and keep easy on the gas and i don't think you will have too much difficulty, but when the snow starts really flyin i'd park it and call a school buddy for a ride so u don't end up callin the tow truck to get you out of a snow bank somewhere.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

NHTSA rates Both 94 Camaro and the 93 Camry as 5 stars. So according to National Highway Traffic and safety admin they are equal. The reason your dad thinks they are dangerous is because they put huge engines in some of these and kids could not handle the power or drove when they should not have. I know these cars inside and out and I would have no problem with my daughter driving a V6. It really is a mid size car. There is a lot a metal around you.
As for winter driving. Camaros suck, sorry guys, it needed said. FWD all the way in the winter. I will drive my Camaro 95% of the time but on days its bad I grab a FWD.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 PM

Listen to the facts!! Get a CAMARO!!! Keep the F-body alive! Your friends will think your the man!

Old 09-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Cars aren't necessarily unsafe, bad drivers are!
I once had a 1994 v6, and drove it in the winter. The biggest problem you will face is the car not wanting to move in deep snow, especially up a hill. If you consider that unsafe? With a Camaro, you have a bigger car around you, as compared to a Cramy. I had good tires, and put a bag or two of sand in the "trunk". It actually didn't do too badly in snow up to about 3". But, get snow tires if you can, they'll work better than M&S tires. And in the first snow, find an empty parking lot and practice easy take-offs, then throw the car into a slide and learn how to correct it. Better that way than learning on the street with moving targets coming at you.

Quick Reply: Are camaros safe? i need some facts