is a camaro suitable for a school car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Default is a camaro suitable for a school car?

Hey

I was recently looking into camaros, and theyre really nice cars. Insurance is pretty cheap, the gas is so-so, but the body and power is what i like the most. But are these cars good for a school car? Does it have any major defects? I know my supra did, ever single mk3 need to get a head gasket replaced =/ Assuming im buying from a middle-aged guy, what should I look for that will pose problems in the future?

TIA!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: is a camaro suitable for a school car?

check the bump stops,springs,oil,trans fuild,coolant, take it for a test drive see how it shifts, how it runs, common problems with these cars im not really sure ive had mine for almost a year and i havent had a single problem other then having to replace normal **** like a MAF, Belt,Oil Filter,Air Filter,Spark Plugs,Trans Filter,Brakes etc. you know just normal ****...everyone ive ever taken it to has always told me that the 3.8 is a strong v6 and can take a alot of abuse..and thuse far running almost 18psi of boost i believe it.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
1st Gear Member

my97 3.8 camaro i hadmy senior year in HS didnt have any serious problems it kept running without a problem until someone totalled it. then i bought what i have now 98 Z28 and i have to say it is a tough car. had it for about a year now no problems what so ever. if you buy one and you want it to last just make sure you take care of it (oil changes, fluids, and not too much doggin) and it will take care of you

Old 01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
4th Gear Member

i never had a problem with mine, and the kid before me treated it like ****. and the kid i sold it to, has put almost 20kmi on it since he bought it from me in august and he hasnt had a single problem.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If I was still in school, the last place I would want to park my very nice car would be in a school parking lot. Do you want to park where a new driver who hasn't quite mastered a parking lot is gonna go next to you? Around here, they seem to use the car next to them as a guide to slide their car into the slot. OOPS...then they get the hell outta there and park in a different spot. I still have a beater car, and it's been raked down both sides from it being used as someone else's guard rail! It's hit & run and I'm S.O.L. cuz nobody saw a thing.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear member

eh it should be fine i drovve both my z28s to school and the vette (before i totalled it) there are plenty of people at my school at least that have M3s or Cobras (late models) or new Mustangs and new Corvettes. just be careful of people parkign too close. and be aware of whsoe jealous or near you

Old 01-16-2008, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

What the hell kind of school do you go to baseballer some kind of prep school or something? At my school we have like 1 BMW thats worth anything and only old mustangs.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 PM
April 2008 ROTM

Mine is my DD as well. And it rocks.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 PM
2nd Gear member

just a normal suburb high school...

Old 01-16-2008, 03:34 PM

yay, replies. i was starting to get worried I started a stupid topic lol. Okay, well If they have a tough engine, that pretty much solves everything. I still hear though that they give ppl problems, i don't know how to believe! And how much gas do you guys get? For the 3.8l of course. If I can convince my dad that both insurance is cheap, gas is decent (I could always add acetone) and parts are pretty cheap, then I think I'll have a camaro by the end of next month! WOOT!

Quick Reply: is a camaro suitable for a school car?