Camaro Rotor choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Default Camaro Rotor choice

Sup guys, I'm trying to get some new rotors (drilled and slotted) all around. There is a local guy selling drilled n slotted OMNI5 rotors for $210 all around. Which is pretty damn cheap, almost worrisome (I have never heard of this brand have you?) Also there is a deal online in

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...1410&ad=google

Dimpled and slotted all around (with free brake pads if you get the dimpled n slotted). Besides these I have looked at some Baer rotors but they are the most expensive (worth it?). Any comments or recommendations? I also might as well get new pads while I'm at it.

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What are they made from and how are they protected? Most likely cheap rotors are made from cheap cast iron. The will rust up the first rain, not good concidering the only real reason for those rotors is looks. If they iron you want them zinc washed/plated. That will protect the none wear areas from rusting. The faces will still rust but a quick drive around the block will knock that right off.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-12-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:29 AM

I'm not sure about the omin5 rotors but the brakeperformance rotors are zinc plated, I recently read some reviews on them and everyone seemed to like them. Only tihng is sometimes they take a little while to deliver and they say its because the zinc plating process takes some time. I'll ask about the omni5 though. If the omni5s are zinc plated are they worth the purchase? I mean at $210 brand new for all 4 driled n slotted seems like an amazing deal to me if they are reliable rotors.
Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 AM
2nd Gear member

Too bad I don't really know anything about the normal rotors I read too much rally magazins so im all in the pro haha.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have never heard of Omni5. Its not a great price vs Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...item4150cfe358

Old 07-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Droid

The most importatnt things about brake rotors is the quality of the material used in making them and proper heat treatment. Poor quality rotors will warp and develop hard spots causing all sorts of brake problems. Coating are basically for appearance and won't icrease the rotor's life. Rusted up rotors of good material can look ugly but still perform properly as long as the rust is scraped out of the cooling fins. Drilled and slotted rotors do not offer a noticeable improvement for street use, and if poorly done can lead to cracked rotors, but look good to some people.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:28 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I assumed he was doing it for the looks. Even the autozone duralast hi grade rotors are better then these cheapy drilled and slotted jobs.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:19 AM

Yeah, I'm doing it for the looks. I don't race my car very much nor am I flooring it all the time. The ones on ebay seem to be at a great price...however, low prices like that worry me and make skeptical. Have any of you guys had/have those rotors? Would you recommend me getting those from that ebay link up above?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:44 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

They are the cheapy mass produced China rotors. There is a very good chance they where made in the same factory as the Omni5 rotors. It not like there is 10 different manufactures pumping these things out. I have not heard anyone talk about this China knock off is better then that China knock off.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:17 PM

I see, well I think I will go with brakeperformance. The total will be $425 for dimpled and slotted all around including ceramic brake pads. Seems like a good deal to me. I was hoping someone would have had these rotors before to tell me about it. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys!

Quick Reply: Camaro Rotor choice