camaro is dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default camaro is dead

ok, nobody is replying in my other thread and if they do they ask a question that i have already answered 1-3 times on there... i think its because its getting too long/to many post's on there?.....

so here is the problem camaro turns over but wont fire, it acts like it wants to start but never does...sounds like a timing issue to me...i do not have a code reader/have access to one so DO NOT SAY scan for obd codes... the service engine soon & check gauges light is on...

1994,chevrolet, camaro, 3.4 V6, automatic

things i have checked/tested

~ALL fuses= good
~ALL 3 coil pack's=good
~fuel pump=good
~fuel pressure= 45 and spec is 41-47
~camshaft sensor= good
~crankshaft sensor=good
~spark at all plugs is good
~all injectors are good (bench tested them)
~just replaced coolant temp. sensor
~timing chain is not broken (like someone said before)
~fuel filter is new
~new oil/oil filter has like 70 mile's

i do not know how to test an ignition control module and ive searched for over an hour on the net and cant find it so if you know how to let me know please... i do not have a repair manual or have the money for one thats why im testing everything multiple times so i dont waste my money on part's...

Old 03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

well buddy, it looks like the ignition control module is the culprit since everything else is tested out okay... if you have any friend that works at a part store, now would be a good time to call em up, so you can "test" a ignition control module and be sure and get your camaro going.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Why would you not have access to a scanner? You don't have an Autozone or Advance anywhere near you? So are you saying your service engine light is on, and you haven't even had it checked for the codes? What are we supposed to tell you? I understand you're frustrated, but the codes should be your starting point, at the very least. Everyone needs their own scanner, they're invaluable, so why not spend $60 on a basic model instead of just throwing money at different things and hoping that's the problem? It would give you a place to start, not only on this car, but any other car you may own. Plus, it may help us know how to help you.

Last edited by martybaker; 03-16-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM
4th Gear Member

For checking Ign Control 3x sig and no spark conditions
1. Disconnect ICM 2 pin connector. Ignition "ON". Connect test light between 2 terminals.
2. Is light "on"? If so, Disconnect 3X camshaft position sensor connection from ICM. Check for 900 -1200 ohms with an ohm meter in the 2k position between terminals A and B of harness terminals.
If no, replace the crankshaft position sensor.
If yes, set volt meter to 2 Volt AC position and crank engine if reading is greater than .1 volt (100millivolts) replace ICM. If not replace crankshaft position sensor.
3. If the test light is off after completing number 1, then you have either an open ground or hot wire for the ICM.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hey "MARTYBAKER" first: of all it WON'T START so i cant drive down there and have them check it second: 93-95 camaro is a "hybrid" the computer is OBD1 and the plug is OBD2 so a cheap $30-$60 one wont work third: im broke and cant afford that not everybody has extra cash they can throw around....

thanks for the info "OSDUCK5" i guess my "ignition control module" is good

Old 03-17-2010, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear member

what state/city are you in?perhaps there is a member near you with a scanner

Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i live about 10min. from kenosha on the illinois/wisconsin border...

i just re-tested the plug's to the "ignition control module" now that its light outside..

one side has two plugs and the other has one... and the side that only has one plug the ohm meter read 6.7 ohm's .... and the side with 2 plug's, the plug that had two wires read 908 ohm's..
i don't have a wiring diagram and cant find one online so if anybody knows what plug goes to what on the ignition control module (like sensor,ecm, etc..) i'd appreciate it...

Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i gave u that info in your last thread on this issue. heres another.

took out images because they dont relate to this thread.

Last edited by craby; 03-17-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: fixing my screwup
Old 03-17-2010, 05:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not real sure if the wireing is the same, the 93 has a obd 1 and u have the obd1.5. and the 93 and 94-95 have different part numbers.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
2nd Gear member

for a 95 v-6 3.4.dont know if this helps.first time trying to attach a pic so if it isnt clear enough i can e-mail it to you

Attached Thumbnails camaro is dead-100_1581.jpg   camaro is dead-100_1582.jpg  

Quick Reply: camaro is dead