Camaro body line? removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:16 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Camaro body line? removal

i have no idea what this line is called but a couple of my friends have said they seen camaros with it removed and that it looked alot better, i dont know to call bs or even if it looks good if its smart, what are you guys thoughts
Name:  2341293430103164881S600x600Q85.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  62.8 KB

Old 08-15-2010, 07:39 AM
4th Gear Member

Never seen one with that removed. I have seen some with a piece of body molding in there. Are they talking about filling it in with some type body filler and painting over?
I have seen several cars at car shows where the owner has done alot of body work to get rid of everything including the door handles but that is on street rods with $10k paint jobs.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I've only seen one car that had that removed. It was on CarDomain (sorry, I don't have the link for it) and he showed kind of a step by step process of how he did it. If I remember correctly, he just used a putty knife of some sort and peeled the strip away (I assume it's some super strength adhesive on there) and he had to sand it down, fill in some holes or gaps (something like that just to smooth it out) and then it was painted. It did look good. I considered having it done eventually to my car when I can invest $4K+ in a paint job and body work.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear member

did this before i painted mine

you need patience, a hairdryer (not a heat gun unless your an expert), goo b gone, a rubber or plastic scraping tool (similar to a snow/ice removal tool) but softer materials work too, patience and more patience

just work very very slowly and be as gentle as possible

when i did this the clear on my car was peeling and the paint was chipping and i managed to not even mess up the paint even though i was repainting anyways (im somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to body work)

just work incredibly slow doing small parts at a time its tempting to peel big chunks but dont, use goo b gone the entire process and especially after you removed it to get rid of the stick gunk

WARNING: if you do this though the paint under may be a different color than the rest due to fading, and replacing these bastards is not cheap

Old 08-15-2010, 10:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

cool, can you post pics of the car after?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear member

here ya go

i think it looks a hundred times better

Attached Thumbnails Camaro body line? removal-photo0178.jpg   Camaro body line? removal-photo0179.jpg   Camaro body line? removal-photo0180.jpg  
Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That does look nicer. More clean looking too. About how long did it take to do that?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

Originally Posted by Phalen123
here ya go

i think it looks a hundred times better
your painter needs to try again, orange peel like crazy on the 3rd pic, no offense just saying id have it wet sanded lightly of course
but idk i guess i think its alot of work for "nothing" looks a little cleaner, not worth it

Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear member

a few hours in the garage, i repainted my whole car after i did it though so other peoples could be faded, mine was badly but my car also had sun damage

i recommend not doing it in the sun, just better to have the paint and area around it cool, less risk of pulling the actual paint off

lastly, i keep my car in the best shape possible, i wash it every other day, park in the shade at the back of parking lots as far away from everyone as possible etc. etc. removing these side liners makes your car more prone to dents by idiots that hit there doors on your car as thats what they are there to protect, so if you normally park in tight areas with lots of cars you just have to be a little more careful

Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 PM
2nd Gear member

i know about the orange peel (i was the painter )

ive already sanded and buffed the hood, roof, front fenders, and nose

doors are next then rear quarters and rear bumper/trunk lid

i have issues with taking anything i own to shops so i do it all myself, it takes a little longer but its cheaper and when im done it looks better (imo) than what a shop wouldve done (i put about 15 hours into the hood, you cant even feel the stripes anymore)

plus i get that experience and it adds more sentimental value to the car for me

Quick Reply: Camaro body line? removal