Cam help plz

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Default Cam help plz

hey guys, im building an lt1, i have a 383 crank with eagle rods, and srp pistons, all forged, now im looking to get a cam, this part is gonna sound retarted, but i was looking on youtube to see what people used with this build and what sounded good, i like the cc306 cam, but i cant find it, idk if thats the part number or what, i assume cc means comp cams, but does any one know the lift and duration, or even better where i can find it, i went on the comp cams website and im not sure which cam the cc306 is,

or maybe u guys can recomend a good cam for me, i have an lt4 manifold ported, stock ported heads, full exhaust, 3:73 gears,(i know the ten bolts suck, but thats changing after my motor is done) cai, and i have a tune, but im gonna need to get it retuned, blah blah blah, all that good chit

Old 10-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by glue maker
this part is gonna sound retarted, but i was looking on youtube to see what people used with this build and what sounded good,
Really? all that money and all the work and your picking a Cam based on what a car sounds like on you tube? Cam is the most important part of this type of build. You should know what Cam your putting in before you even port the heads and intake. I am going to have to agree with the above quote.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 PM

hahaha i know i know, i had a cam picked out from the begining, but i dont rly know how well it preforms, its a gm performance cam 539/558 making power from 2000-6800 and i think the duration was 232, i dont remember too well, soooo i was looking on the forums and found a couple cams that other people did, and youtubed it to c what they sounded like, and what times they ran with a similar set up, and i liked the cc306, im just looking for good sugestions, and what people have

Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

cc306: (230/244 .544/.576 112lsa) w/ 1.6RR's
Features Comp’s Magnum lobes with are older technology but proven not to take a beating on valve train components. Has been proven over the years to make good numbers and perform well at the track. Similar in power output with the newer XE 230/236 with slightly worse drivability. Exhibits a very strong mid-range and top-end with some low-end loss. Not recommended for cars that are daily drivers or that have stock bottom ends/heads due to its large size in duration. Stock heads don’t allow this cam to be used to its full potential so one with a built bottom end and head work would benefit greatly from this cam. Automatics require high-stall converters and gears and 6-speeds require steep gearing to run this cam successfully. Degree of cam surge will be determined by how good the tune is, stall size/gearing etc.
Pass Emissions?: No
Shift Point for Maximum Performance: 6400+rpm
Idle Characteristics: Very Choppy Idle
M6; Require Gears?: Yes
A4; Require Stall?: 2800+ Stall Speed

I sent a PM.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-21-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I just went with the LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6 RR, and valve train, LT4 intake, and ported the heads. It's driveabile, idles decently and makes good power. I'm sure there are more powerful cams, but I wanted a nice balance between driveability and performance. I have rebuilt the bottom end, but this cam doesn't put too much strain on it.