A/C clutch not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Default A/C clutch not engaging

I have a 1998 Camaro and canot get a/c compressor clutch to engage any help would be a blessing.
Thanks willettselectric.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:39 PM
4th Gear Member

It may be low on charge.
Get one of those R134A recharge kits, comes with a can of R134 and the trigger handle with a gauge. Follow instructions.
If sowem pressure registers on the gauge, then charge the system following instructions.
If no pressure is shown, you may have to have the system charged, checked for leaks using a soapy solution, fix the leak, then evacuated, and recharged.
If left with no pressure, might be a good idea to change the receiver/dryer as it would be contaminated with outside air, maybe, maybe not, but why risk it.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I want to add to this...I have a 94 that the compressor isn't kicking on...first made sure the compressor spins freely; it does, read about jumping the B1 and B4 terminals on the relay...did it and the compressor ran just fine, replaced the relay and still no compressor action until I jump the terminal..system only has about 12psi in it though...wasn't sure what the minimum charge required was to get the compressor to kick on on it's own

Old 06-09-2013, 07:13 AM
4th Gear Member

Suction side pressure should be around 34 PSIG.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok. I don't know if I want to buy another recharge can or take it to a shop and have them do it..

Old 06-09-2013, 10:52 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you put a full can in and got 15lbs it was probly empty. best to have it checked and recharged at a good a/c shop.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 AM
4th Gear Member

R134 is pretty cheap, Ollie's has it for $7 a can.
I would add another charge. You tool should have a gauge on it and after purging out the air in the hose, you should be ready to go.
Fortunately for your set-up, the system is still charged, meaning no need in evacuating the system and go from there.
Recharge first thing in the AM when static pressure is low.
Make a mental note for future reference, write it down somewhere along with ambient temp.
After charging, apply to all connections soapy water to find bubbles for a leak.
I use an spray bottle of 409, Mr. Clean, or whatever is available. Snoop is best and can be bought from the local HVAC store.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks Everett and craby. I will put another can of freon in it. I wasn't sure about it and didn't want to waste the money if I could avoid it but I have to have AC lol.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Emptied the AC can...gauge reads 32 or 33 psi...when the B1 and B4 are jumped the AC compressor engages and blow nice cold air...when the original relay is in there..nothing and when the replacement relay is in there nothing...only kicks on when those terminals are jumped....where to look now?

Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by akdiesel
Emptied the AC can...gauge reads 32 or 33 psi...when the B1 and B4 are jumped the AC compressor engages and blow nice cold air...when the original relay is in there..nothing and when the replacement relay is in there nothing...only kicks on when those terminals are jumped....where to look now?
If you are saying that when jumping it to battery power it comes on I would start looking at the control circuit. A diagram would help, but it could be a fault on the wiring to the relay coil causing the relay not to close. Find out which terminal is B+ and which is ground and check to make sure 12V is getting to the b+ and that the computer that is grounding the coil of the relay. A logic probe would show you if it is grounding but you could always jumper a ground and see if the relay works.

Last edited by greenmachine96; 06-10-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C clutch not engaging