bye bye 97 30th anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:13 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

i sold it because it was at a point of either get buried in it or sell it and move onto the next camaro. and my current finacial situation causes me to look at something that is lower mileage than my 97. yeah it was a great car and the motor was strong but i do not like the set up of the lt1. and honestly you couldnt pay me to have a 5th gen. my room mate bought one and yeah it was nice but i just did not like the car. it was a great looking car but just not for me. ive always loved the look of the 98-02 camaros. i never have truly liked the 93-97's but the anniversary was kool enough to get past the front nose and the interior is the later style. i wouldnt mind going to a 3rd gen. i remember riding in the back of my grandparens 83 Z and ive always wanted one of my own. but for now im trying to work a deal on a very clean 98 ss t-top car

Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nj85z28
also wasnt the pcm upgraded in 99+?
yeah I hear there easier to tune. I have the the 98 /=

Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by bill2129
yeah I hear there easier to tune. I have the the 98 /=
still a catfish.

lol I'm sorry you don't like the LT1 Dalton, but you should have kept it and waited till i had the $$ cause my wife is a Bama freak, and the hounds tooth interior would have sealed the deal. Then I would have had 2.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:07 AM
2nd Gear member

The Camaro is too fishy and the Trans Am looks bloated like a wildebeest, they both look vulgar. I see 98-02 4th generation F-bodies everywhere and none pique my interest. It's a shame you sold the SS because there's nothing more striking than a 30th anniversary with hugger orange stripes. Absolutely nothing.

In a car for road use, the LT1 gets the job done. It may not be the fastest platform but it sure does sound damn good and if you're mechanically inclined an Opti replacement isn't a daunting task. More horsepower will bring you more problems, don't forget that we're dealing with cheaply made performance cars. The LS1 cars aren't much of an improvement in reliability and especially performance relative to the hot-rodding I could do for the same price.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:32 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
The LS1 cars aren't much of an improvement in reliability and especially performance relative to the hot-rodding I could do for the same price.
I will disagree with this. The LS1 has multiple levels of modification that are available, and is the standard performance motor used in almost everything custom now, because of their durability and performance capabilities. The LS1 is an awesome motor, the LT is what inspired it though.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:47 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

well the LT1 was the last hoorah for the original small block design that has been used since 1955. the ls1 is a complete redesigned motor.

and cat the car wasnt a ss. if it had been a ss anniversary i wouldnt have sold it. it was just a z28. once i had the opti figured it out it wasnt a problem it was replaceing the plugs and wires that left me lots of scars up my arms. there is a reason that hot rodders dropped the lt1 like a hot potato and went to the ls1 for there street rods. and cost wasnt the reason.

also i want a camaro i can make mods to as i build up funds. with the 97 i was in the same boat as my 68. its rare collector piece thats better off stock that modded

Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Good thread with respectful comments...
5th gens are indeed another missed opportunity for GM. That kind over over-styling shouldve been a Firebird. Visability alone disqualifies the 5th gen as much as a '73 Mustang's...
Having both 4th gen variants, I like my '95 better. To each his own, and all Camaro's are great cars.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:04 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by BudBrown
I will disagree with this. The LS1 has multiple levels of modification that are available, and is the standard performance motor used in almost everything custom now, because of their durability and performance capabilities. The LS1 is an awesome motor, the LT is what inspired it though.

The keyword is relative. You end up spending $7,000-9,000 on an LS1 car in decent condition when you could get the comparable LT1 car for half the price. I don't think a small jump in performance justifies spending that much money when compared to what I could do with some easy hot rodding. For example, a $500 FB RX7 when paired with a stock junkyard 6.0 LQ4 motor for $400 using the GSS kit will give you results in a different league. A car that weighs 2300lbs from the factory when paired with that amount of power will easily put you in the 10s on slicks for much less cash.

4th generation F-bodies are 3450lb cows. It angers me when smug LS1 owners put down the LT1 cars claiming that I drive nothing but an opti-powered ****box as if their catfish is worlds apart. I see no point in dumping thousands into a car that already costs thousands more just because of a slightly better engine platform. There are much cheaper ways of doing things. Plus, the LS motors aren't free from all ailments; they drink oil and slap like every other SBC.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

lol. I love my little catfish.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Real Camaros came with sealed beams from the factory....just sayin'. I love how the 93-97 has a little 3rd generation in the front clip. I wouldn't trade my Hugger Orange/Arctic White 30th Anniversary for the world. It was the car I had dreams about in high school.

Quick Reply: bye bye 97 30th anniversary