Brake problem. Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Brake problem. Help!?

This morning on my way to work, I noticed my brakes felt like they were weak, and felt vibrations through the pedal. A few minutes later brake light came on, so I'm thinking "ok fluid must be low." I pull over, check it, and sure enough it is. I fill it up, and on my way home earlier the light is still on, and when you press the brakes it feels like air. You have to press all the way to slow down.

Any ideas? I just had the rotors and brakes changed a few weeks ago.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

How low was the fluid level, way low or just a little? If way low, you would have an external leak that you should be able to spot by crawling under the car and inspecting (something we can't do from here). Check the calipers, rear wheel cylinders (if you have drums), the steel brake lines, and rubber hoses.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

It was low, low. After I had the brakes and rotors changed, I noticed a hissing noise on the passenger side everytime I pressed the brakes. Didn't think much of it.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look for signs of oil on the backside of the tires and in the area of the calipers. the light will stay on till its reset. push on the brake peddle really hard to reset. of coarse it will go back on if the brakes are still leaking.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

On the rear is drum brakes. I've never messed with drum brakes before so I'm hesitant to even check those.

I'll try resetting it. I figured it was because the fluid was low, but don't understand why it's still acting weird after adding fluid. I haven't checked the fluid in a long time. I should have.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't see any fluid or oil leaking. I tried pressing the peddle to reset but it didn't do anything.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Brake fluid does not just get low. You may have to add some as you brakes wear but the system is designed that even if you completely wear out your brakes you will NOT run out of fluid. Once you do run out of fluid you MUST bleed the brakes.

Step one find the leak.
Step two Fix the leak.
Step three REPLACE any brake shoe or pad that got brake fluid on it.
Step four Bleed the brakes.

Anything less then that and your going to get someone hurt.

You will need someone with a good scan tool to bleed you brakes right.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by JPrice
It was low, low. After I had the brakes and rotors changed, I noticed a hissing noise on the passenger side everytime I pressed the brakes. Didn't think much of it.
Sounds like maybe a loose bleeder screw..... or a pin hole in the rubber brake line....

Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i dont remember if it has to be running or not. when i did mine i did it both ways. it went off. pushed as hard as i could on the brake peddle, thinking if it doesnt blow a line it wont in any conditions.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I took it for a short drive to test it out one last time. Brakes are working better, but not perfect. Light is still on. I'm thinking the rear brakes aren't working anymore cause the e-brake doesn't work. (been like that since I got it.) I plan on getting it checked asap just to be safe.

Quick Reply: Brake problem. Help!?