Blown gasket symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM
I Like to Party
Default Blown gasket symptoms?

About a week ago I flushed and refilled my coolant,the car started and ran fine,to my knowledge its 60/40?a few days ago I changed my plugs and wires,1 wire at a time(at one point I think I had 2 off but I kept them separate) car started and actually sounded better.Yesterday I noticed faint streams of white smoke coming from my exhaust and it had kind of a sweet smell.(coolant?)after about a minute the smoke(steam?) Stops.blown gasket?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM
I Like to Party

I watched some YouTube videos and the cars with blown gasket sound horrible and have mountainous streams of white smoke from there hood and exhaust.I only have a very very small amount from my exhaust then it stops.I'm going to check my firing order today just in case.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you're talking about a first of the day start-up type thing, you very possibly could be seeing moisture in the exhaust system that's burning off. That's natural. Keep an eye on your coolant level. If it's not going down, don't worry about what you're seeing.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The smell part is concerning but the steam itself means nothing. I use to get customers with new cars coming saying their head gasket was blown because of steam, most of the time it was just bad gas combined with high humidity.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Check your Oil and Water. If your Oil is a milky or theres Oil in the Water your head gasket is blown.

Hope this helps

Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I Like to Party

Thanks for the replys, now that I think of it it stormed a couple days ago so it could just be moisture, and im still working on it alot so I dont crank it as much as the average person. Maybe once or twice every couple of days. Ill crank her up later and let you guys know whats up

Old 10-13-2011, 02:28 AM
I Like to Party

Update* so I started her up and a little white steam/smoke came out and subsided.I noticed when going under the car that there was something dripping from the exhaust piping?looked clear like water

Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 AM

For every gallon of fuel you burn aproximately 1 pint of water is produced.

Thats why exhaust system's rust out so quickly (unless they are stainless of course).

So if dripping from the exhaust is your only sympton I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 4thGen4Lyfe
Update* so I started her up and a little white steam/smoke came out and subsided.I noticed when going under the car that there was something dripping from the exhaust piping?looked clear like water
Accumulated moisture in the exhaust system blowing out, or burning up and turning to steam is normal. As I said before, as long as your coolant isn't "disappearing", it's not a worry. If you had a blown head gasket and were sucking in coolant, that initial white steam you get wouldn't subside.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:20 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Accumulated moisture in the exhaust system blowing out, or burning up and turning to steam is normal. As I said before, as long as your coolant isn't "disappearing", it's not a worry. If you had a blown head gasket and were sucking in coolant, that initial white steam you get wouldn't subside.
Right on brotha. Keep on keepin on.

Quick Reply: Blown gasket symptoms?