Back to the drawling board - 98 & 99 Z28 - Worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Back to the drawling board - 98 & 99 Z28 - Worth the price?

Well, I am back to the drawling board to find a decent LS1 within my budget of $5,000.

I found two Camaro Z28's on auto trader that seem really decent. I would like to get your advice before I drive a few hours to see it.

First one:

1998 Camaro Z28
113,575 miles
$4995

Car: http://www.dealsunlimitedinc.com/veh...evy-camaro-z28

Carfax: CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 1998 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28

I asked the guy to send me some pictures of the trunk/engine.

Updated: the guy called me to say the ABS light is on because the previous owner changed the rear end. The senors are not plugged in.

Second car:

1999 Camaro Z28
113,970 miles
$4983

The online wrong with this car is the check engine light is on. He said it has some thing to do with emissions, but they are not going to fix it. Selling it as is.

Update: The guy called to tell me the emissions pump is bad. Is this expensive to fix?

Car: http://www.lafontainechrysler.com/de...17/1000065410/

Carfax: CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 1999 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28

Last edited by onefastls1; 12-06-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I like the red one better....it has added lower body skirts, different spoiler, and aftermarket wheels which look nice.
The second one "something to do with emissions", gee he's very helpful there. Any time the check engine light is on, it's because of emissions. It could be something simple, or an expensive fix. If you're considering that one, I'd want a report of what the check engine scan shows.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I like the red one better....it has added lower body skirts, different spoiler, and aftermarket wheels which look nice.
The second one "something to do with emissions", gee he's very helpful there. Any time the check engine light is on, it's because of emissions. It could be something simple, or an expensive fix. If you're considering that one, I'd want a report of what the check engine scan shows.
I updated both. The red one has the ABS light on due to no sensors plugged into the new rear end. The previous owner change the rear end and the dealership now does not know what type of rear end is in the car.

The green one has a bad emissions pomp. Is that expensive to fix?

Old 12-06-2012, 03:27 PM
4th Gear Member

find a private shop mechanic within 5 minutes of the red one. Make an appt with them to buy 1 hour of their labor to give the car a once over. Then, go to the dealer and bring the car to that shop. You then make your offer based upon the feedback.

The dealership will benefit as well in the event that you don't buy the car.

the red one has aftermarket wheels and what looks like decent tires

the red one has what appears to be decent paint

the red one has a newer head unit vs the cassette in the other one

so, the red one has in excess of $1,000 of upgrades you would do anyway

stop looking

you found your car

no more debating

call the dealer, find that mechanic, make the appointments and get it done

what you pay the mechanic will be worth it because you will no doubt not be getting a warranty from the dealer. Be up front with your intentions to the dealer. If they quickly drop the price in lieu of bringing it to a shop then accept that and ask the same mechanic if he will come and do a 15 minute test drive and you'll pay him for an hour

he will simply be "your friend" joining you for the test drive

Old 12-06-2012, 05:47 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would say the second one, because the red one has a big gap between the hood and the front bumper so it could have been in an unreported accident. Plus I like the green color better :P

Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

air aka imissions pump (if thats what the problem is) is an easy change and are not that expensive. 50 bucks used and probly in the 150-200 range new. if your in a state that does not test emissions you can have it tuned out and leave it or remove.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The guy from the dealership called me this afternoon to tell me he sold the car. Oh well!

On the other note, just found this car posted on craigslist today! I am waiting on the guy to call me back so we can take a look at it. Let me know what you think.

Description:

"2000 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28 T-TOPS LS1 5.7L V8 110K MILES LOADED POWER WINDOWS POWER DOOR LOCKS NEWER AM/FM CD PLAYER RADIO KEYLESS ENTRY RUNS AN DRIVES GREAT CLEAN IN AN OUT WAS ASKING $6000 NOW ON SALE $5500"

Pictures:

Old 12-08-2012, 06:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I just spoke to the guy and the reason why he dropped it from $6K to $5,500 is the driver seats has some tears in it. He is sending me pictures of it in the morning. Also, I am going to see the car tomorrow so I will take more pictures.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you can, stay away from the 98 cars, 99+!!

Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Looks like a decent car for the money...I'd still talk him down more. Cash talks!
Oh, and it has nitrogen filled tires too, that alone makes the car worth it!

Quick Reply: Back to the drawling board - 98 & 99 Z28 - Worth the price?