Anyone remove harmonic balancer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Question Anyone remove harmonic balancer?

Has anyone ever removed the Harmonic balancer/Pulley(one piece) on a 95 camaro 3.8L?
It is unclear through research on internet if it is a claw type or bolt?
With the 3 slots on the pulley I dont see any bolt holes in there. of course I cant get my head in there to look, but from the pics I took I dont see any bolt holes! It calls for a special puller, and of course my local auto part store(oreilleys) dont have it.
I am trying to remove it to replace the crankshaft sensor.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Question anyone remove harmonic balancer?

Has anyone ever removed the Harmonic balancer/Pulley(one piece) on a 95 camaro 3.8L?
With the 3 slots on the pulley I dont see any bolt holes in there. of course I cant get my head in there to look, but from the pics I took I dont see any bolt holes! It calls for a special puller, and of course my local auto part store(oreilleys) dont have it.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Question anyone remove harmonic balancer?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

when I took mine off, i used a puller using bolts. but i had to find some they threaded in the hole because the ones that came in the kit didn't work. I also had to stick a long socket in the crank because the puller wasn't long enough. I rented the puller from auto zone btw.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by nickb123
when I took mine off, i used a puller using bolts. but i had to find some they threaded in the hole because the ones that came in the kit didn't work. I also had to stick a long socket in the crank because the puller wasn't long enough. I rented the puller from auto zone btw.
Do you remember by chance what type of bolts? Maybe you still have them and can show me a pic?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Droid

Next time please post only once, a bunch of the same posts create confusion.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete
Next time please post only once, a bunch of the same posts create confusion.
Sorry, i dont know why it did that?

Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrekimf
Do you remember by chance what type of bolts? Maybe you still have them and can show me a pic?
I dont, but i do remember all the ones in the kit where to big but just a little. It was easy for me because the engine was out of the car and i had a bunch of bolts laying around. Id say if you have some random bolts laying around that fit in the hole, see if they thread in.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Lisle makes the puller for this balancer. DO NOT use a claw type it will pull your balancer apart. I cant remember the part number but places like NAPA sell the kit. O'reilly and Advance do not have the kit, I am not sure about Autozone.

Massey

Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Thumbs up

ok!!!
got it done!
I used a regular harmonic balancer puller, the only difference between a regular puller and the so called "special tool" is that you need to use 1/4 in bolts with the 1/4in fine thread, got'em from local hardware store, instead of the other 3 bolts that you would use to pull the pulley. But make sure you get them as long as the other bolts otherwise you wont be able to use the installer as I didnt do. So I did the naughty way of using the crank bolt.
But anyway at least its done!
My engine light has been on ever since I owned the car which is about 4 yrs, and no one with a diagonsis computer could get it to come up with a code, BUT now its off!!!! Yea!!

Quick Reply: Anyone remove harmonic balancer?