Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Default Any Advice?

Ok so just yesterday I bought a 1994 Camaro base at a dealership and it needs some work. I'm not a mechanic but maybe somebody here can help me Xp So I definitely need an oil change, fix up the seal cuz im leaking oil, the left blinker doesn't disengage after turning, All the gauges move when i rev, when i'm going 20mph it says im going 45 :/ , I idle at 1700-2000 rpm, and it doesn't have a good kick like it should when i want to go fast. There may be something wrong with the engine i don't know about but as far as i can tell, besides the idle and lack of speed, it works fine. I have a battery charger on it at the moment because i left the inside lights on overnight, it still starts but the bats a bit low. Any advice? (ps alignment might also be ****ed up, leans to right a bit) Its an auto v6 btw

Old 02-04-2012, 07:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

How much did you pay?

Numerous things come to mind when you mention these issues. Head gaskets, IAT sensor, throttle body, battery.

First things first, check your fluids and try to find the oil leak. Check to see if you have coolant in you oil orvise versa. Next thing I would do is compression test the coolant system. As well as compression test the cylinders. Also look for loose wires and connections at iat sensor and battery. If the battery connections are corroded, clean them up. Have a load test done on the battery, they fo weird things when they go bad. Another thing I would do is clean the throttle body (throttle body cleaner and non fiberous rag. Lots of write ups on this) all of these things are very easy to do and should most likely be done anyhow.

Another thing I often do when buying a new car is give it a seafoam treatment. If you have any questions on this I would be glad to help. Also, google is great.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

" pressure test cooling system " not compression lol

Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Could also be throttle position sensor or a vacuum leak.. Etc etc

Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get it scanned for trouble codes.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
get it scanned for trouble codes.
this is always a great first step. if it is leaking oil, it's probably not because it needs an oil change. how much oil is it leaking though? is it just a few drops, or is it leaving puddles in your garage? if the battery is just low from the lights being left on, then let it recharge. if it stays low, get a new one.
when you say all of the gauges rev, do you mean all of them? how far does each of them go? obviously, the rpm, spedometer, and oil pressure are going to move, but the temp shouldn't move too much, and the battery shouldn't rev at all.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 PM
2nd Gear member

Since you just got it the first thing you should do is get new wires, plugs, and possibly a new opti. You'll need to figure out the location of that oil leak. If it's on the rear it could be the intake manifold, which would also cause a vacuum problem. Also do a check on the alternator, icm and coil...simple things your auto parts store can do.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ummm,,, jguy,, its a v6,,,,

Old 02-05-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by chevcamaro
How much did you pay?

Numerous things come to mind when you mention these issues. Head gaskets, IAT sensor, throttle body, battery.

First things first, check your fluids and try to find the oil leak. Check to see if you have coolant in you oil orvise versa. Next thing I would do is compression test the coolant system. As well as compression test the cylinders. Also look for loose wires and connections at iat sensor and battery. If the battery connections are corroded, clean them up. Have a load test done on the battery, they fo weird things when they go bad. Another thing I would do is clean the throttle body (throttle body cleaner and non fiberous rag. Lots of write ups on this) all of these things are very easy to do and should most likely be done anyhow.

Another thing I often do when buying a new car is give it a seafoam treatment. If you have any questions on this I would be glad to help. Also, google is great.
paid 1850 after taxes and all. 1650 for the car. Wires are ok, battery terminals fine, engine coolant... im almost out, found out the leak was coming from under my glove box are near my reservoir. It might have cracked. I don't know a lot about cars so you will need to explain where and what the throttle body is :/ Oil is low but hasn't dropped significantly in the last few days. I'm 100% i got a seep but most cars have that anyway. Also engine coolant doesn't leak until i turn my car on and continues after i shut it off for awhile. Just checked this now.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

heater core is leaking.

Quick Reply: Any Advice?