Another "My Window doesn't move correctly" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Default Another "My Window doesn't move correctly" thread.

Sorry to make yet another post about broken windows, but it'd help me a bit if someone could please eyeball these pictures and tell me if I am on the right track (no pun intended!).

I bought my '98 Z28 a few days ago and all is well except one window. My driver's side window has some play in it when it is all the way up; I can wiggle it back and forth about two inches. Also, when I push the button to roll it down, the front end of it wants to tilt down instead of going down level (I can still use it, but I need to give it a helping hand).

I took the door panel off today to see what was broken and saw what is in the pictures. I only had my camera phone handy so sorry for the bad quality. Basically, someone seems to have "repaired" this window already by using a copper wire to tie the wheel the rides along the track to the bolt hole that is attached to the window glass. I cant find a clear picture of this in another car. Is the wheel supposed to be inserted directly into this bolt hole? Or is there some fitting that this copper wire is replacing? The bolt that is attached to the wheel seems to be bent, so I will need to find another if I am to repair this.

Also, as you can see in the other picture, the track is somewhat bowed. Isn't it supposed to be completely straight?

I will probably go to San Diego Pick-a-Part tomorrow to look for these pieces. Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems like these are some of the first parts that people take... are there likely to be any 4th gens there that still have window parts or should I not waste on time and just buy it online?

Thanks so so so much for any advice or comments.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15585/720F10512A464DE48E7EFD42E476C8DD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15585/790E67DAAAA946F6A2040033B6ECB7CB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Another "My Window doesn't move correctly" thread.

I don't have much experience with this, but maybe this is possibly what you need?

http://www.moderndaymuscle.com/inc/sdetail/15114

Old 01-01-2009, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Another "My Window doesn't move correctly" thread.

Mine popped out there too. I wound up disassembling the window - you have to drill out some rivets for the window to come out - and tack-welded that piece back on to the bracket yours is wired to. Now the window is much more solid.

Unfortunately. I don't have current pics of the repair - and FWIW, the original post is just press-fit into place.