Annoying coolant leak problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Annoying coolant leak problems.

After refilling the coolant I bled the system as I have done numerous times and I believe I have got all the air pockets out now. But, I get a leak coming from the upper radiator house which connects to the top passenger side of the new WP. It only seems to leak for a short while on start up and when I open the bleeder screws for awhile the leak goes away. I also quickly crack open the rad cap and a small burst of air seeps out then the fluid follows so I seal it real quick. After doing this the leak goes away. So I still seem to constantly get air pockets in my system. I bleed the lines the correct way. I have also grabbed a heavy duty line clamp to put on this line and it still leaks. Maybe just a new hose would help, idk.

Another area for concern. I also seem to have another leak behind the motor, it's coolant. Awhile back I had intake manifold leaks which would leak oil and coolant behind the block and drain down. I fixed that yet haven't cleaned all the build up off yet from the old leaks. I figured it was just old fluid build up, but it looks like new coolant. I've checked the manifold and can't find any wet areas or leaks, coolant is still coming from back there somewhere but I can't find anything. Any suggestions? It's dripping down onto the tran and down the side of the housing.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you have a crossover pipe for the steam line back there. it may be one of the seals has failed. there is also a drain tube from the heater/ac core on the passenger side http://shbox.com/1/a_c_drain.jpg

Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 PM
2nd Gear member

That crossover pipe, is that the small line which goes from one head to the other, right below the oil sending unit? http://shbox.com/1/egr1.jpg this pic shows it well.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes, you can see it in this picture too. the only coolant you can get from intake is the bolts, no coolant goes to the intake.

Name:  P2200033.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  77.4 KB

Last edited by craby; 02-19-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Ok, another hard to reach and see type of look and fix....love it.

But that coolant line is really annoying as well. Was thinking the hose was just worn and regardless of the clamp the hose still leaks. A new one, or at least checking the diameter would be good.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

make sure if you can. only other place is head gasket, have you looked at the heater hoses. could be leaking there at the firewall and draining down somehow. maybe try getting some movies with phone or small camera, may be able to see better that way.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Yea I have a small digital camera for pics and video, I'll use it with the flash/light to get some good looks and check everything out.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear member

Hose leak fixed, but couldn't locate the leak on the steam line in the rear of the motor. Used my digital camera to take pics yet couldn't see any wet areas coming from that line. There is still a pretty wet area underneath the line on the tranny cover which is also covered in dried old oil from previous leak. Maybe I just didn't get a good enough view of it since there is nothing else back there to leak coolant...?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

could try pulling the last bolt on the back of the intake manifold on each side and add some rvt or thread sealant to the threads and reinstall. retorque the intake bolts while your at it.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 PM
2nd Gear member

Are those rear bolts the only ones which could have coolant come up through the threads or are the others capable as well?

Quick Reply: Annoying coolant leak problems.