almost done putting motor together, but hit road block

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default almost done putting motor together, but hit road block

ok 92 corvette lt1 motor, 95 lt1 camaro shell. I cant figure out how to make the optispark work.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

95 should be the same. why will the opti not work? the unit itself is not working or u cant get it or the wires to fit?

Old 10-15-2009, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

well the connector from the 95 camaro harness will not fit into the optispark. But I am 100% sure they are both obd1. Now i know that 95+ used vented opti and 92-94 was non vented. Also the optisparks look totally different.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I have a 92 Vette and just recently did an opti change on it. The optispark was changed to the vented style in 1994.5.
Is the harness you're talking about not fitting the plug into the opti, or the harness plug at the intake manifold? The 92 opti harness plug is a one year only style (square), but you can change the plug if that's the problem. I put on an MSD opti, and it has a fixed pigtail from the unit with the 93-up style plug. I had to change my harness plug to the newer style.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the 92 vette has the old style opti and the 95 camaro has the new style opti. to use the newer style u will need to take the front cover off a new or vented style lt1 and put it on your motor. then get the vented newer style opti thats for the 95. i belive u will also need to change the cam gear to a new style for the opti shaft, not sure on that though.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont want to swap anything. I will just run the stock non vented opti for now. I live in mi and its to cold to ride my bike any longer. So I need the camaro asap.

Now for camaro 69 my 95 camaro harness will not fit my 92 corvette opti. I dont want to chop up my engine harness for just an opti. I like my stuff clean and as close to oem as possible. And yes my car was originally a z28 and I also have the old z28 motor sitting at the shop also if that helps. Where can I buy the newer plug

Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So I take it you are using the 92 opti, and it has the more squarish 6-prong plug?
There are 5 wires on the plug from the opti. One of them is a ground wire and you don't need to use that wire, Chevy phased that wire out after the 1992 model. So there are only 4 wires used for the opti. The harness plug on the opti will have markings in very small letters A B C D E F. The plug harness on your car and the 95 opti is marked 1 2 3 4. You want to match up wires A&1, B&2, C&3, D&4. If you still have the 95 opti harness plug, you won't have to do any "chopping up" of your wires. If you look at the wire end of the plugs, you will see a small notch where the wire goes into the plug. Stick a small hobby size screwdriver into the slot while pulling the wire away from the plug. With the screwdriver you are pushing down the lock tab on the wire connecter that holds it into the plug. Once you get one of them out, you'll figure the rest. And be sure to mark the wires before you remove them from the plug so you don't get them mixed up. Do the same to get the wires out of the plug from the 95 opti harness. Then you slide the wires from the 92 opti into the 95 plug in their correct spots, and plug it into the car harness.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ the man...

Old 10-15-2009, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
So I take it you are using the 92 opti, and it has the more squarish 6-prong plug?
There are 5 wires on the plug from the opti. One of them is a ground wire and you don't need to use that wire, Chevy phased that wire out after the 1992 model. So there are only 4 wires used for the opti. The harness plug on the opti will have markings in very small letters A B C D E F. The plug harness on your car and the 95 opti is marked 1 2 3 4. You want to match up wires A&1, B&2, C&3, D&4. If you still have the 95 opti harness plug, you won't have to do any "chopping up" of your wires. If you look at the wire end of the plugs, you will see a small notch where the wire goes into the plug. Stick a small hobby size screwdriver into the slot while pulling the wire away from the plug. With the screwdriver you are pushing down the lock tab on the wire connecter that holds it into the plug. Once you get one of them out, you'll figure the rest. And be sure to mark the wires before you remove them from the plug so you don't get them mixed up. Do the same to get the wires out of the plug from the 95 opti harness. Then you slide the wires from the 92 opti into the 95 plug in their correct spots, and plug it into the car harness.

okay I am going to go up there tomorrow and do this. Now in the event your idea doesnt work(hope it does) is this the harness that I would need. or is this harness essentially what I would be doing from what you told me. Also i heard that my 95 will be looking for something in the optispark that may not be there since its a 92. any truth or just bull**** shade tree talk

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...item56360335ea

Last edited by kaoss_11; 10-15-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The MSD opti I put on fits the 93-94 F-body and 92-94 Vette. So as far as the year fitment, that harness you show should work. That's provided the plug into the opti is the same, and you should be able to compare the two on your end. I haven't been able to compare what the plug looks like at the opti on the 93-94 because the MSD harness is hardwired. 1996 is where some electrical differences came in (not from the opti but to the computer) because of now having an added crank sensor in the timing chain cover. So, I'm not aware of 1995 being a "one year only" setup.
Here's the wording from EFI about the 95-97 harness: "This harness is used with the 1995-1997 GM LT1 engines. It is also used when converting earlier optispark modules to the vented style." That would mean that the harness plug at the intake manifold, and wiring configuration is the same for putting an updated opti on the older model LT1 car.
Doing the plug swap really wasn't all that hard. To clarify one part, when looking at the plug at the open end, you will see the slots where the connecter prongs are down into. The slots have a small notch in them, and that's where you poke your little screwdriver into to depress the keeper tab. Once the wire is out, you may need to slightly bend that spring tab back up before you slide it into the other plug. You'll understand when you get there. And your harness might have a plastic keeper that snaps on the back side, where the wires come out of the plug. Remove that before trying to take the wires from the plug.
And you have two options with the plug. Change the plug on the car to the 6-prong to match the 92 opti (if you have that plug), or change the plug on the opti to match the plug on the car.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 10-16-2009 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: almost done putting motor together, but hit road block