Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Air Filter

So i'm thinking about getting one of those K&N filters for my car. They say it's less restricting and that it adds horsepower to your car. I have a 3.8L V6 and I was wondering if anyone knew if I'm going to notice any difference between the K&N and the Fram performance wise? I know that going with a full CAI would be even better but I cant afford that right now. What I'm looking for is to get more out of my lower gears I feel I'm not getting enough out of my first and second gears because it feels likethey're being bogged down. Can anyone recommend anything else to help with that? Thanks

Old 10-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Air Filter

Just replacing the filter isn't going to do anything for you. Save up for the full intake.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

no not really it might let a lil more air in but the stock intake is so small that its a joke, i agree with the above comment save up for the whole intake set up it will b worth the wait the first thing i changed on my lt1 was to the K&N intake just the intake alone was not worth the price i think, but u will get ur moneys worth with bolt on and mods as u well need more air to get in and if u look at the opening on a stock set up u will c y its a joke compared to after market intakes, a full kit u will feel a slight diff but over all its just a better thing to do. cleanen the tb and that might help a bit but u will not get what u r looking for out of an air fillter by itself . so in all i would just buy a reg air fillter cause an air filter alone will make lil to no diff in anything but ur wallet

Old 11-03-2007, 04:55 PM
VIP member

an after market filter with a stock intake = no good.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have a K&N air filter with my stock air box with a smooth air lid. I don't care what those other people say, but I'm not going to spend an extra $300 for just a few hp gains for a cold air intake when my intake alreadytakes in cold air. I have the same generation and engine as you, and would definatly reccommend getting a re-usable air filter such as K&N. With that you will notice a difference when stomping on the gas and starting the car. On top of that you are only spending $50 compared to $300, getting a less restictive than disposable filter, and you will never have to buy another air filter again.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 AM
2nd Gear member

My car has a washable K&N filter... did it come with that stock?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:21 PM
2nd Gear member

The guys that are saying to get a full aftermarket intake all have the older 4th gen camaros: 93-97. Those don't have a good stock intake. The 98-02 intake is much better designed and doesn't need to be replaced. You can get a cold air intake but that really wouldn't be worth it as it would only give you a couple of HP. Stig gave me a really good explanation of what can be done to a 98-02 V6 intake in this thread. The first post from the top. It is a free mod that you can do yourself, and then just drop a K&N filter and you'll be good.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: th3po1son

My car has a washable K&N filter... did it come with that stock?
No they came with disposable ones stock. The previous owner must have put it in there.

ORIGINAL: aleksandr

The guys that are saying to get a full aftermarket intake all have the older 4th gen camaros: 93-97. Those don't have a good stock intake. The 98-02 intake is much better designed and doesn't need to be replaced. You can get a cold air intake but that really wouldn't be worth it as it would only give you a couple of HP. Stig gave me a really good explanation of what can be done to a 98-02 V6 intake in this thread. The first post from the top. It is a free mod that you can do yourself, and then just drop a K&N filter and you'll be good.
Good point aleksandr. Good as in I agree with you and have done that mod too. Takin' advice from the Stig somehow seems to work out somtimes in some ways . Shaving off the baffles on the stock air lid with a Dremel and putting in a K&N air filter is a good inexpensive mod. I would reccommend doing it.