ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its not the friggin key!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:06 AM
4th Gear Member
Default ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its not the friggin key!!!!!!

ITs some friggin security thing in the steering column! hes gotta take my column apart and buy a new part from GM and then install it all over again.. im at 80 bucks for getting the car started and he says it will take like 5 hours to do this job.. 280ish overall JUST for the labor... I STILL dont have a car to get around to school and work... this is starting to blow..

Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!
Default RE: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its not the friggin key!!!!!!

sounds like it passed staring to blow a little while back

Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 AM
4th Gear Member

lol.. yeah it blew when i didnt get any spark at the turn of the key... im going to be applying for a job at the Chevrolet dealer soon.. theres good money to be made there.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:19 PM
4th Gear Member

uh, if u mean the key cylender, it's a fairly easy job, jus need rite tools and 2 or 3 ppl, the spring has a **** load of pressure. i did a new cylender, starter and the other thing in there(drawing a blank on the name) that sends signal to security and starter for like 150 bucks, and a day's work of work, with me and my dad. when i took cylender out, both wires werent even connected to anything..

in my opinion, i would make someone else do it lol, but, not if they're gonna charge ya that much, it took us bout3 hours for it and switch, bout 4 for starter(we dont have a drive on jack, yet).

Old 09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
4th Gear Member

I dont think its the key cylinder its something to do with the key and the security module but i its in the steering column... he was able to bypass it and start the car and run it but he said he might as well replace it because the one i have is unstable and unpredictable.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Indeed, there is money to be made at a Chevrolet dealership. However, you must be extremely good and make no mistakes. Most times you will be started on base pay, usually minimum wage. After 90 days, you are switched to a time pay, meaning you get paid per hour per job. If a certain job is listed as 9 hours, you can complete it in 7 and still get paid for 9, the down side is that if you take 12 hours, you still get paid for 9 hours. A dealership really puts a lot of pressure on the technicians to do good work as fast as possible. Come backs are lethal and warranty work is murder. If you want to learn and get the ropes of the trade, I suggest you find a decent sized independent shop.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:50 PM
4th Gear Member

im not gonna be a technician lol more like a lot boy.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear member

Gotcha. You should work at a parts retailer. You learn a lot about certain parts and understand what cars have what...

Old 09-19-2007, 05:17 PM
4th Gear Member

Yeah, im goin down there soon so ill find something out.

Now back to my car. Got off the phone with the mechanic and he said total after parts and labor it will be about 400 bucks to fix my ignition problem. Now after that I have a problem with my radiator thats causing to run hot some times (when sitting in traffic on the freeway, never overheats tho) and its causing my heater to not work. Could i possibly have my radiator flushed saving myself time and money or should i get a new radiator like my mechanic suggest.. i figure he only suggests that so he can make some good cashola off me kuz my car does need attention, but id like to get things done with as little damage to my wallet as possible lol. Also i need my car before friday.. because friday is Senior skip day at school meaning i need to be able to leave school early or drive somewhere other than school lol and i need to be able to drive 45 mins down the road to my moms house and get there on my own accord otherwise it would take my mom forever to come get me.

Whats your opinion? Have the radiator flushed and see if that fixes my problem or pay for a new radiator and wait a couple days more for the mech to install it?

Old 09-19-2007, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear member

I'd remove the radiator myself and have it taken to a professional radiator shop. They can clean, repair, and pressure test your radiator for a lot cheaper than a new one would cost.

Quick Reply: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its not the friggin key!!!!!!