after a few months of pleasure.. hearing a chirping

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default after a few months of pleasure.. hearing a chirping

when the car is idle in any gear its fine, but when on the throttle, i hear the most annoying chirp. i sprayed some belt conditioner on the belts with no luck. last night was the second time i drove the car in the rain, and this morning came the chirp. before i go throw a new belt at it, is there anything else i should look at or adjust maybe?? thnx guys!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

id check the tensioner and NEVER use dressing on serp belts only v belts

Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 AM
3rd Gear Member

shoots i already sprayed it... wheres the tensioner? i took off the air box baffle, and saw a pulley that rocks a little but nothing like a tensioner with a bolt to tighten

Old 10-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

what year and engine

Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Overdrive Member

I had the same problem with my wife's Z and after finding idler pulley bearings that were worn and were thought to be the problem the chirp is still there. 2 new belts later and she purrs like a very large cat. Like BC said dont use dressing on serp belts it will usually make the squeeling and chirping worse.

Massey

Old 10-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Overdrive Member

Modern engines have tensioner pulleys that look like idler pulleys but they are attached to a movable arm. On the LS1 engine you have to remove the top of the air box and the intake tube to gain proper access. Then put a wrench on the pulley's center bolt and move it to release tension and remove the belt. The lower tensioner is a pain to get to but can be reached from the top of the car. The L36 (3.8L) the air box can stay in place and the tensioner is attached to the heater hose manifold on the right side of the engine. Again use a wrench to move it and release the belt.

Massey

Old 10-12-2010, 04:07 PM
2nd Gear member

Also check for any fluid leaks... I need to replace my timing cover gasket and sometimes a tiny bit of oil drips onto the belts and causes squealing. No point in replacing belts that will get leaked on again, so I will replace everything all at once over the winter. For the time being, a friend told me to put a tiny bit of synthetic caliper grease on the belt to quiet it. Probably not the best solution, but it got rid of the annoying squeal. I'm about to park it for the winter anyway.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

its a 2000 z28 ls1 motor, thanks for the insight everyone, any recommendations for brand of belt?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 PM
2nd Gear member

I've had many people recommend Gates brand belts. You can get them at Napa.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
3rd Gear Member

well, took a chance and ordered a/c delco serp, and a goodyear small belt. both with shipping came to $40 bucks.

Quick Reply: after a few months of pleasure.. hearing a chirping