Acelerator Control ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 PM
Default Acelerator Control ? ?

I had a minor accident on my 1999 Camaro SS. Took it to a friend and fixed it all up! When it was done and I went to pick it up my friend said that the car would not accelerate. It starts and if you accelerate from the throttle body it accelerates and sounds perfect but not by pressing the accelerator.
I noticed that the car has a “Accelerator Control Unit”, the cable from the accelerator pedal goes in to the Accelerator Control from there one cable goes to the throttle body and another to the cruise control unit on the left hand in front underneath the car. When the accelerator pedal is pressed it does turns inside the Accelerator Control Unit but it won’t turn the cable that runs into the Throttle Body.
Inside the dashboard the lights for ABS Non Op, Airbag and TCS are ON also does anyone know if any of this other issues are the cause for the Accelerator Control Unit not work?
That would be #21 on the link below.

Camaro_Exploded_View_Diagram_241 - Welcome to the Camarosource.ca Camaro Gallery
Can Anyone Help!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

any way you can get it scanned for trouble codes? i thought the obd2 f bodies were drive by wire and didn't have a cable.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

They are drive by wire, but they go to a box above the battery. See above:

Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 PM
2nd Gear member

99 was the first year of drive by wire

Old 01-22-2014, 06:51 AM
1st Gear Member

My first guess would be the throttle body controller. It's easy to check. If the wire isn't silver then it's time to replace it.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Overdrive Member

The LS1 was never DBW in the 4th gens. The only model that was DBW was the 99+ 3.8L cars. That unit next to the battery is part of the ABS and Traction control system. IF you have TRAC, ABS INOP and other indicators on you have issues more than just the throttle control.

That unit will restrict the movement of the accelerator cable if the computer detects rear wheel slip, it will also pull on the throttle cable for cruise control functions. You need to check the wheel sensors, the ABS unit and also make sure this unit is plugged in and wired properly. Accidents can easily cause short circuits when wiring gets pinched and this can cause all sorts of issues. Also if any of the suspension was removed or the throttle control unit and or ABS pump was unplugged and moved out of the way for the repairs make sure that they are all plugged in good and tight. If the car didnt do this right after the accident then the repair has caused the problem and it is prolly just a simple missed reconnect.

Massey

Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the help guys.
Yes my car looks exactly like your picture "Socom".
I checked all the fuses and they are all good. I plugged in the scanner but it did not give me any error codes. the wire from the throttle body is good silver looks like new. The whole front left hand side was taken apart Lower and Upper control arms shock and springs to fix the body. I will take the wheel off and check all the wiring to the area to make sure everything is connected and wires OK.
Again Thank You very much for the info guys. I will let you know if I find out the problem.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 AM
2nd Gear member

I would check the voltage at the top of all of the fuses labeled Air Bag, TCS, and ABS reference to chassis ground. I have a feeling that some of those are dead. Measure voltage using the positive lead at the fuse top and the negative lead at chassis/engine ground. It should be 12v on all of them with the ignition switch on. (This is not a test of the fuses)
Is the rest of the instrument cluster working ok?

Old 01-24-2014, 12:19 PM

I checked the fuses for the Air Bag, TCS & ABS and they are all OK just a little above 12.0 V while I was doing that I checked all the fuses and the fuse for the starter (STRTR) checked out at around 46V is this normal? I also checked all the connections to the wheels sensors and they are all OK.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Overdrive Member

Are you sure it was 46V and not a floating voltage of maybe 46Mili Volts? The only thing in your car capable of getting voltage that high is the coils and those are putting out voltage in the KV range.

After your accident did you have these lights on? Also did you pop your air bags? Check connections under the dash for the airbag (yellow plugs) and also make sure the Traction control switch is still plugged in at the radio bezel.

Did you get hit hard enough to move the engine or trans? If so you may want to check the speed sensor on the trans to make sure it is connected. Also a good code reader could tell you why the lights are on which would make guessing a little easier.

Massey

Quick Reply: Acelerator Control ? ?