AC Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Default AC Leak

Is there a known spot these things develop leaks in the AC system at? I have 2000 Camaro v6 with about 104K miles on it and the AC doesnt blow cold. If I toss one of those recharge cans on it, it will be cold but then over night it leaks out.

I tried one of those UV charge cans but couldnt see anywhere it may have been leaking. I looked around the hoses, as much as I could around the compressor and then I went under and looked around the condenser but didnt see anything.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You are using the black light in a Dark area? Most common issue is the front seal in the compressor but it can be anywhere. You should see dye on the underside of the hood because the clutch slings it.

I have not reseal one of these newer compressors. Based on the GM manual there is a lot of special tools needed to replace the front seal, most guys just buy the knock off China compressor off ebay.

If anyone knows a DYI process for replacing the front seal that will not cost a bunch of money in tools please post it."yes I am talking to you Camaro 69 "

Last edited by Gorn; 07-13-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

lol. With new compressors (with a new clutch) available for $160 and less, I wouldn't even waste my time, money or aggravation trying to rebuild an old one.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:21 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
lol. With new compressors (with a new clutch) available for $160 and less, I wouldn't even waste my time, money or aggravation trying to rebuild an old one.
If all that is wrong with the compressor is the front seal, say on a low miles car that sat a long time putting replacing the seal makes sense IF you have the right tools. But Camaro 69 is right on higher miles cars the chances are the seals are failing for a reason, like bearing clearance, and a new seal may not work or may last only a short time.

I know with the old compressors I could swap out the seals in about 10 minutes but the dealership had all the right tools and back in those days most of the compressors could be serviced right on the car. Also back then freon was $1.50 a lbs so trying a new seal did not cost much.

To the OP: You really want to be sure where the leak is coming from before you try any repair. If you are 100% sure there is no external leaks then you should take it to a shop that has a sniffer. You could be leaking in the evaporator in the dash unit.

Best deal on compressors I have found is on Ebay, Compressor/oil/dryer/ o-rings for $205
57971 New AC A C 1995 1996 Chevy Camaro Pontiac Firebird V6 3 8 Compressor Kit | eBay

Old 07-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, the $160 and lower I found was just the compressor. That's ^ not a bad deal for the extra stuff it comes with.
I like that vendor's name too. There's a "frigid" joke in there somewhere, just can't quite get a handle on it! lol

Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 PM

Yeah I was using a black light, just couldn't seem to track it down anywhere.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:46 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

To bad the most common issues is the most expensive. Did you try looking for the UV stuff at night with no other lights on besides the black one? I have never been a big fan of the dye, I like the sniffers a lot better.

If it the compressor seal the dye will not be on the compressor it will be slung on the inner fender and the underside of the hood

Last edited by Gorn; 07-13-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
To bad the most common issues is the most expensive. Did you try looking for the UV stuff at night with no other lights on besides the black one? I have never been a big fan of the dye, I like the sniffers a lot better.

If it the compressor seal the dye will not be on the compressor it will be slung on the inner fender and the underside of the hood
yeah I had actually went out really late at night so it was super dark and just had the black light, I know the stuff shows up under the black light cause I had some on my hands.

I may just buy one more can to run through it and see what happens.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Ok so I ran another can through today. And went outside a few mins ago while its dark and hit around with the black light. It doesnt show up on a pic, but I highlighted with photoshop the area on the AC compressor it had a uniform coverage all the way around.

So I'm assuming its the compressor being the issue?

Name:  lWjKcS0l.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  37.4 KB

Old 07-14-2013, 06:49 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you are seeing dye on the compressor clutch it is your front seal. Do you have access to tools to work on an AC system?

Quick Reply: AC Leak