ABS and Brake light is on... Window switch pod fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Post ABS and Brake light is on... Window switch pod fix?

Hello all... starting to work on the Camaro to get the interior and engine right so i can start bolt one... the ABS light and Brake light are on... where should I start to get that issue resolved? The dash is cracked pretty bad, but I seen a link to a new dash pad in another post, so I'm covered there... the only other serious issue in the interior is both the driver side and passenger side pods where the window switches and door locks are, are both popped out. I heard that's common on these cars... how did you go about fixing them? Lastly, the center console hinge is broken, can I just replace the console lid or do I have to replace the whole center console unit? Or should i just put a small hinge on it and be done with it... thanks for any insight.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ABS/Brake light - start by checking all your brake lights as if one is out that can trip the brake light and I've seen the ABS light on my own car tripped by the third brake light being out. If no luck, then check the E-brake sensor, could be something wrong there. For the ABS light if nothing above fixes it then you probably have a wheel sensor out, you'll have to get it scanned to find out for sure which one it is. 93's had 3, R/L front and 1 rear in the dif.

Window switches - I'm assuming you're talking about the little triangle piece that the switches are in, look on the sides and you should see two metal clips, if not, then you need to get those clips and that will hold those down. There is a little spot that they go in and it's very hard to explain how they go. Maybe someone can post a pic of it. Look down in the door as the clips come off the switch panel and like to fall into the door or between the door and dust gasket.

Console, look to see what part is broke, the lid or the console base. And you need the little metal rod that holds the two together, like a door hinge in you house. I've normally seen just the lid hinge be broke, but the console could be also. You can find the lids online at several places. I try to order everything I can from gmpartsdirect.com.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Had my ABS light on when I bought he car. Turned out the ABS relay was corroded to hell. Replaced it and it turned off.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

like arrow sayin the center brake light out is common issue with abs light and e brake switch stuck with the brake light. look for brake fluid leaks around any of your tires. brake light can indicate a leak
there is a thread on how to fix the switch bazels,,,if memory serves me right it has to do with some fishing line and pulling it down and fastening to one of the screws below.
here are the clips that hold the bezel down eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices bezels are also found if needed. the consol lid is a common failure point and can be found on ebabe or new sometimes at gmpartsdirect or rms

Last edited by craby; 02-07-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Thanks... I will check into the third brake light issue as well as the sensors if the third brake light isnt burned out... I will post back with updates.