Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Wondering if it would work till I get money to v8 it

Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by bryansgreen
Because the 2.8 was free and bored .030
.030 over really is nothing its 3/100ths of an inch really boring .030 over isnt to increase cylinder size its to remove scratches and reround the cylinder in the end youll still have a 2.8L with the crappiest heads and intake GM ever built

sry to burst your bubble just dont want to see you waist your time and money

also slapping the 3.4 heads and intake on isnt going to make it a 3.4 youd need the crank rods and piston heads from a 3.4 to get the proper stroke

Old 02-16-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
.030 over really is nothing its 3/100ths of an inch really boring .030 over isnt to increase cylinder size its to remove scratches and reround the cylinder in the end youll still have a 2.8L with the crappiest heads and intake GM ever built

sry to burst your bubble just dont want to see you waist your time and money

also slapping the 3.4 heads and intake on isnt going to make it a 3.4 youd need the crank rods and piston heads from a 3.4 to get the proper stroke
I'm not trying to make a 3.4 and I'm not wasting money because I haven't put any in it I just want to know if its goin to work cause I don't have money to spend on another motor

Old 02-16-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by bryansgreen
I'm not trying to make a 3.4 and I'm not wasting money because I haven't put any in it I just want to know if its goin to work cause I don't have money to spend on another motor
Also when I get the money for another motor will the tranny bolt up to a v8 or will I have to get another tranny

Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Gorn
The older Carb type is over all a taller motor (including the carb). I would imagine the carb would be well under the cowl. You may have issues getting it to fit. Most people with 2.8's want the 3.4 bottom ends. The MPFI 2.8 is going to have about 30 less HP then the 3.4 but it will have tons less lowend torque. It will be very noticable in a 3500lbs car. Also the 2.8 has a very weak bottom end. Throwing a rod in a bone stock low miles engine is very common, I know I repaired a LOT of them under warranty. (Weak bottom end + very hvy car = a very short life)
it will work but not for long

Old 02-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I do not think the MPFI 2.8 would work with the 3.4 heads and intake because the 2.8 has a distributer. What year 2.8? I am also not sure the brackets would line up. You are talking 2 generation worth of edits to that block. You would have to be pretty sharp with electronics to get the 2.8 to work with the 3.4 computer Since the 2.8 does not have a Cam or crank sensor. Your going to need the 95 PCM to work because that is what shifts the trans, runs your gages monitors you ABS and some other stuff.

2.8 is out of a Camaro or S10? FWD 2.8 would not even have a place for the motor mounts.

V6 tranny will not work with a V8, There is a thread in the v6 section explaining the process of installing V8 in a V6 car. Unless you have a fully functioning garage and about 110 hours and a complete doner V8 car its not worth it. It will be 5X cheaper to by a V8 car that needs head gaskets and fix that then it would be to put a used V8 motor in your v6 car.

The only time it is really worth doing the swap is when you have a known good V8 car, maybe wrecked, The 6v body is the cheap part of the swap. A good low miles complete driveline (AKA a doner car) is going to cost you $1500 to $2000