99 ss repairs

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Default 99 ss repairs

All,
Looking for some advice. I have been looking around for a 98 to 2002 z28 for a while (picky about cleanliness and price). I found a 99 SS for sale near me that appears to be in very good condition other than one problem (engine needs to be rebuilt). It has a few updates and repairs included a new rebuilt transmission at 95K miles and it now has 130K. This fall while driving it started making a bad noise and the guy says that a shop told him it had spun a bearing. He decided to put it up for winter (as it had been stored previous winters) and save money for the repair. He says he has lost interest and funding and wants to sell. He wants the blue book for "fair to good condition". Other things the car has: aftermarket radio, flowmaster exhaust, real HID headlights, t tops, SS package, ect. The car appears very clean.

I'm looking for input on cost of the engine rebuild and other things that I should investigate before proceeding. I'm not really looking for an involed painful project. That said I have the funds to do any repairs that may be needed...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Pass that car is not in good condition. A rebuild will cost about 3-5 grand

Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 PM
2nd Gear member

I don't see how anyone seriously expects to get "good condition" pricing on a vehicle that doesn't run. Blue book good and fair condition describe the vehicle as running...

Personally, I'd pass and find something that runs.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Default yea...

That's kind of what i was worried about. I'm just feeling a little frustrated. It seems like the cars of this variety fall into three categories. 1. Beat to hell. 2. "improved" with all variety's of 5" inch exhaust tips and spin rims, or pristine cars being sold as collectible and asking for almost twice blue book.

I was interested in a car down the road from me and some guys selling the car even linked to a video of him doing doughnuts on youtube and blaring slayer.

Are there any sane people I can buy a decent car from?

oh well-

Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

I garuntee any camaro you buy will have been abused somewhat. If not then why buy a camaro. I say you lowball that guy and if he says no then tell him to call you once nobody buys it.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

Also you might want to look into buying a lt1. They are a lot cheaper and plenty powerful. I see a lot of those less "improved"

Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

tell him 600 bucks, and that the bearing didnt spin itself, then give him your number and wait 2 weeks

Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM

I know. He thinks clean = collector car. In reality you have a 12 year old car with a blown engine. I agree the price would have to be right and not 5 - 6 K. I don't feel that you should pay blue book for something you have to tow home.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You are head down the right track but can you do the work yourself? FInding a car with one major problem (normally the motor) is the best way to buy a car. Install a low miles used or new engine and replace all the wear items and you should be good for years. In a few months this guy will realize that no one will pay that kind money for a car with a blown motor. Spun bearing are not cheap rebuilds. 5K is a pretty close quote with labor. Collectors will not buy a car like this. Miles are too high and the original numbers matching engine is in question and in need of a major repair. It is simply not a colletors car anymore.

In its current condition its worth 2K maybe $2500 if there is someone who already has a used LS1 and they are looking for a body. The first thing the guy will say if he read this is that its worth more parted out. He is right. Any car with a major issue does not sell well. And that has been true for the last 30 years. I bought a 70 challanger for $75 in 1980 cause the motor was blown. I bought a 1993 Z28 LT1/6speed last year for $1500, the only reason I gave the 1500 was cause the 6 speed is worth 1K by itself.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-25-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I just saw this one on ebay. It looks pretty nice with some minor problems. Its worth a look and a possible bid. Here is the item number. 200567045609

Quick Reply: 99 ss repairs